BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Set reference line in composite wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would it not be good to be able to choose where the contour line occurs when placing a composite?

For example, we have been working on a project which is a timber frame construction, where the external finishes change between 140mm blockwork, 100mm blockwork and timber rainscreen cladding and the internal finishes change to meet the timber frame designers specification. Thus the important line that will not move between storeys and which we set out to is the external face of studwork.

So you would have the normal 'construction method' (left, right and center) but a special method for composites where its set in the composite attribute manager. Possibly an easy fix that will stop us using two composites to build up one wall.
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
It might be nice to be able to set it in the composite wall set up.
But are you aware that you can set this value in the wall settings dialogue.
And you can save favourites for your different walls that would set the different values automatically.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry I wasn't aware that that function was present.

However, the down side is that if you then change a thickness of one of the skins you will need to update the custom 'reference line off set' of that composite which would be quite tedious and require recalculating where it should be.
You can put this setting to infobox - I am constantly amazed that someone in GS decided to hide this in default setup.

One important thing I find usfull when creating new composite for wall:
try setting the wall "downwards" (not like slabs) so the inner layer is the top one and the external layer is the bottom one - I found such setup easier to manage than the "normal" one.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Piotr wrote:
One important thing I find usfull when creating new composite for wall:
try setting the wall "downwards" (not like slabs) so the inner layer is the top one and the external layer is the bottom one - I found such setup easier to manage than the "normal" one.
Maybe I ask this in wrong section, but could you explain why you think this setup easier to manage than the normal one?
Karl Ottenstein
tlodge wrote:
Thanks Barry I wasn't aware that that function was present.

However, the down side is that if you then change a thickness of one of the skins you will need to update the custom 'reference line off set' of that composite which would be quite tedious and require recalculating where it should be.
Old thread, but missed it when posted...so maybe this will help someone...

There is no way to make the reference line dynamically stay assigned to a particular skin with Composites. But, the recalculation of the offset is eased by the Modify Wall group of commands: Design > Modify Wall > Reference Line ...

Use Find & Select to select all of the modified composite walls (I usually do this in 3D to visually confirm that I have gotten all walls on all stories) and then invoke the command. See attached screenshot of the dialog. As long as your desired offset is to one face of the core skins, this will save lots of time and avoid math errors adding the outside skin thinknesses.

If you want to be SURE that the reference line is always at the desired skin, then use a complex profiled wall instead of a composite. Just capture the composite the first time to make the profile. [Design > Complex Profiles > Capture Profile of Selection command] Locate the base of the reference line by positioning the entire profile assembly over the origin in the profile editor. Now, any future editing will adjust all placed walls relative to that origin - so if you change the skins, just move the assembly so that the new reference line position is at the origin.

Cheers,
Karl

PS Back to the original wish: I vote essential. It would be easiest to be able to specify the reference line int he Composite dialog itself ... and perhaps have a 'lock' icon to indicate that it cannot be later moved via the offset (just like a CP wall).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!