BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Settings being saved with drawings

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going crazy. Why oh why are some settings in archicad saved with the computer and not with the actual dwg file? I made a schedule that was only going to be used with 1 file and I saved it in the project folder and changed the setting folder in the calculate/Interactivve schedule to look to this folder. I'm now done with the job and now I'm working on my regular schedules and find I need to change something but I'm looking at the old files that I set with the previous dwg file.

I'm frustrated with setting 3D photorendering setting for 1 job and then working on another job and see my settings I've set for that particular job not there anymore. Or better yet 2 people are working on a file and they need to set the photorendering settings individually because it's NOT SAVED WITH the project!!!! UGHHHHH

Please have everything saved with the file and not on the computer! Have settings be saved with the template or be able to import in with attribute manager.

Thanks,
Michele
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Michele wrote:
I'm going crazy. Why oh why are some settings in archicad saved with the computer and not with the actual dwg file? I made a schedule that was only going to be used with 1 file and I saved it in the project folder and changed the setting folder in the calculate/Interactivve schedule to look to this folder. I'm now done with the job and now I'm working on my regular schedules and find I need to change something but I'm looking at the old files that I set with the previous dwg file.
Hi Michele,

I agree about some things - such as photo settings - but not about the schedule settings. The I.S. settings files are in separate files just so that they can in fact be shared by other projects and even given to colleagues who can import them, etc. The problem you've run into is more one of not managing your files properly IMHO.

Do create backups of your I.S. settings directory as part of your regular backup plan, and when you decide to customize a schedule, do it to a duplicate or a placed schedule unless you're sure you'll never want the original settings again (or you have them backed up elsewhere or can get a copy from a friend).

The curious thing about customizing a placed schedule is that those settings are indeed stored in the PLN file itself along with the schedule object. (Select the schedule, then go to Preview or Settings and you'll see this.) The original schedule settings file remain unchanged. This may be what you want to do in the future for placeable schedules that are fine-tuned to a particular project. You can always obtain an external *.iss file for the schedule by opening the settings and choosing "Duplicate" ... all settings will be copied to a new *.iss file

Hope that helps on future projects.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Michele wrote:
I'm frustrated with setting 3D photorendering setting for 1 job and then working on another job and see my settings I've set for that particular job not there anymore. Or better yet 2 people are working on a file and they need to set the photorendering settings individually because it's NOT SAVED WITH the project!!!! UGHHHHH
However, they ARE saved in a view. So make your renderign view set and all is well. You can save it with the project.
Michele wrote:
Please have everything saved with the file and not on the computer! Have settings be saved with the template or be able to import in with attribute manager.
Agree on this one ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
What if I want settings that I set in project a to be set in Project b now? That isn't saved in navigator. I can save it in the template file in navigator but it just seems frustrating for things to be set seperately on computers and to have them saved only to the computers. And about the Is settings I have no idea why these aren't saved with the dwg. Yes you want to share your files but sometimes you don't want to share a specific setting for a schedule to a master folder. You set things differently for a reason and sometimes specific to a job and you don't want those things being available to other people. Just my opinion I guess I'm just used to Autocad even though it's been 3 years now.

Thanks for listening to my rant,
Michele
Learn and get certified!