BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Shortcut to Arrow Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was nice of Graphisoft to give us a shortcut to the arrow tool, and even better when 'Escape' takes us back to the arrow tool (in version 9) - BUT, now that the arrow tool is available in 2 modes (the original one Autocad will recognise as a 'crossing', and a new one that selects items only fully within the window), you still have to drag your mouse all the way up to the top left hand corner of the screen to get the Arrow key mode that you want. So my wish would be for a shortcut to arrow key mode 1, and another shortcut to arrow key mode 2 - or (as in Autocad) drag the window from right to left for Mode 1 and left to right for Mode 2. Without this facility, the advantage of the having the arrow-key shortcut is defeated.

This may seem very picky. But actually it's very important to be able to reduce the number of times you have to divert your mouse to the edge of the drawing area. Isn't this, after all, why the fountain pen was invented - so that you didn't have to keep moving your pen away from the drawing to dip it in the ink?
12 REPLIES 12
Rakela Raul
Participant
a pain indeed
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keith wrote:
So my wish would be for a shortcut to arrow key mode 1, and another shortcut to arrow key mode 2 - or (as in Autocad) drag the window from right to left for Mode 1 and left to right for Mode 2. Without this facility, the advantage of the having the arrow-key shortcut is defeated.

I agree that this would be very nice. Your wish made me think about it and going back into the program I noticed that hitting the "G" key toggles through the Geometry Methods for using the Arrow tool just as it does for the Wall tool; but hitting the "C" key with the Arrow tool active does nothing... unlike the Wall tool which uses that shortcut to toggle through Construction Methods.

Seems like the same logic should be applied to the light vs dark Marque

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
We definitely need to be able to toggle between all kinds of Arrow tool (and all other tool too)!

As for the Crossing and Whole variants of the tool - being a long time Autocad and Archicad user I am for the Autocad method - dragging rom left to right selects all, and right to left only what is entirely inside the drag window. Nice and simple - no need ofa shortcut at all!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hear hear!
I agree with you Kliment - Autocad method is very simple and easy. Pllleeaase help, even a quick toggle would be much better...switching between selection methods is too time consuming.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A wish since 2005, but no progress. Seems like it would be a simple programming thingie? Left to right, vs right to left selection, a la AutoCAD?

This is the only item on my "Awesome bits of AutoCAD" list (which is directly beside similar lists for ArchiCAD and VectorWorks).

This is also one of very few items on my "Irksome bits of ArchiCAD" list.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Jocelyn that this Autocad selection method must be in Archicad.
And let me remind you that Archicad already has selecting with arrow in two methods before version 10, which was cancelled. In vers. 9 you can set selection method, like it vas in AC7, so that you select just linear elements (like walls, lines...). I d like to have back this option.
Anonymous
Not applicable
David-L wrote:
In vers. 9 you can set selection method, like it vas in AC7, so that you select just linear elements (like walls, lines...). I d like to have back this option.
I want to, also. But this should be another vote.

On the main poll.
I for the shortcut key, but against the method of "left-right"
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Auto cad way is just better.

My question is - Is this really so difficult / Complex to incorporate & programme ?

regards

Ameya
Anonymous
Not applicable
I vote for that too.
I vote also for the space bar toggle, as on selecting slabs or fill on their surface. At the end is a selection. Isn't it?
Of course, a space-bar toggle (of the selection method of the arrow key) in addition to the well known method of right to left or left to right would be amazing!
Learn and get certified!