Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Showing Zones in Section views

TomWaltz
Participant
I would like to be able to display the Zone Name/Number of any rooms that are cut through by a section marker.
Tom Waltz
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent idea, though it may be a bit tricky to implement. It will (ideally) require the introduction of 2D elements into 3D views which carries a small host of issues with it. But then I would love to have automatic 2D elements in 3D. I guess I'll have to formulate a wish list post for that too (though it is properly a part of my larger wish item about multiple plan and 3D views.
Anonymous
Not applicable
......though my repsonse is much later than the original post, I would underline the desire for zones appearing in the section cut!!!!!!

I was use to this in ADT. (though ArchiCad is still better)
Andy Thomson
Advisor
hi ML, but I thought zones were 3D, since you can trim to roof, etc....
Aha. You mean the label is 2D. Right, well why couldn't the label show in a section if that display option is set up?

I agree, it would be great to show arch. programming, and I wouldn't have to relabel section views, 'Unit 203', 'Unit 204' etc.

Zones find centroids when placed inside bounded walls, I'd like to see the same in 3D, and in poygonally/manually defined zones too, if they knew their 3D centre, then their label would center right?

I have just had to do 4 levels of slab edge and drainage plans, it would have been great to know the geometric centers for placing the drains....zones could do that eh?

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
Excellent idea, though it may be a bit tricky to implement. It will (ideally) require the introduction of 2D elements into 3D views which carries a small host of issues with it. But then I would love to have automatic 2D elements in 3D. I guess I'll have to formulate a wish list post for that too (though it is properly a part of my larger wish item about multiple plan and 3D views.
Matthew -- did a search for a wish list item specific to 2D elements in 3D, but did not find one, so I've added one here...

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=59592#59592

in regards to structural gridlines in the Section/Elevation window. Automatic placement of both Zone Stamps and gridlines are integral to BIM.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Andy Thomson
Advisor
TomWaltz wrote:
I would like to be able to display the Zone Name/Number of any rooms that are cut through by a section marker.
Of course! since this needs to get labelled often in sections anyways. I can (so can anyone) list dozens of timesavers like this. I am glad to see storey markers in AC10, but have yet to determine whether they work for us yet.

3D gridlines would be handy also, I know there is a hodge podge of solutions out there, but nothing comprehensive, or satisfactory from a printed graphics perspective.

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Djordje
Ace
andyro wrote:
3D gridlines would be handy also, I know there is a hodge podge of solutions out there, but nothing comprehensive, or satisfactory from a printed graphics perspective.
If you are referring to the structural grid, it is there in 10 ... plan, elevation, section, 3D. At last.

Domo arigato.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
hi ML, but I thought zones were 3D, since you can trim to roof, etc....
Aha. You mean the label is 2D. Right, well why couldn't the label show in a section if that display option is set up?
I think I've come up with a better idea. At my present client's offices we are using library parts as room names that display the zone name and number. While sadly limited in ways that a few globals or a simple request function could fix, this is very handy for placing different tags for the same room in the floor plan, enlarged plan, and ceiling plan. If the zones were active in sections then they could work there as well.

What I like about this is that, rather than waiting for GS to spend precious resources developing some automatic system that will inevitably disappoint at least some users, this seems like something that could be easily implemented while providing total flexibility.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
I think I've come up with a better idea. At my present client's offices we are using library parts as room names that display the zone name and number. While sadly limited in ways that a few globals or a simple request function could fix, this is very handy for placing different tags for the same room in the floor plan, enlarged plan, and ceiling plan. If the zones were active in sections then they could work there as well.
So, Matthew, are you saying you place three different tags in each room (one each for floor plan, enlarged plan, and ceiling plan)?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5