Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Showing objects on certain levels

Red
Advocate
Currently with AC you can have an object show one story up, down, up and down, or all. What I would like is being able to tell it which stories I would like for it to appear on for example story 1 and 4. I understand you can somewhat achieve this through layers, but I like to keep my layers to a minimum if at all possible.

For a simple example when we put our stairs on the 1st floor plan (story 1) we would like for them to show on the 2nd floor plan (story 3). In this case story 2 is the 2nd floor framing and we ourselves do not show the stairs on the framing plan. We just detail them out separately. Also I've had a lot of people tell me to just copy them up the 2nd floor plan and explode them. I myself think that’s the cheap way out. I like to keep everything an object if at all possible.

So let’s put it to a poll, and see what kind of pros and cons I receive. Hopefully they will be a few Archi-Cadians out there that agree. Archi-Cadians?!?!?!?!
Thanks,
Red
i7 8700k
ROG Strix Z390-E MoBo
64gb RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
This can be achieved via GDL...

I have coded my SKYLIGHTS as well as my own stairs to limit the SHOW THRU STORIES....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Red
Advocate
I tried to achieve that once before through story sensitivity but was unsuccessful.
Thanks,
Red
i7 8700k
ROG Strix Z390-E MoBo
64gb RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080
Not applicable
I got sick and tired of inserting downspouts on every story so I coded a downspout to show one way on all floor plans and another way on roof plans. One downspout object displays on all stories. (And it's 3D so it looks correct in elevations too.) Maybe we can discuss this in the GDL forum, or on GDL Talk.
Miquel Garcia
Participant
The GDL way works, but is necessary to edit every object. It would be better if this control is provided by the program and available for all the objects.
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that more flexibility should be available for showing on multiple stories.

I had the need a while back for some tall shear legs some of which needed to show on four floors (three floors & the roof plan actually) which meant that the above and below option wouldn't work (and besides, I wanted the home story to be at the base of the structure).

It was no big deal to control the visibility (not display below home story) and simply show on all stories, but the insertion point (the library part's origin) is still selectable on the lower floors making it easy to delete them inadvertantly. I fixed this by locking them once they were set up properly but this should not be necessary.

In this particular instance the ability to show on 'n' stories above or below the home story would do the trick. This might be all that is needed. I can't think of a situation that would require something to show on discontinuous stories (such as "show on stories 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, & 10"). Does anyone have an example like this?
Bruce
Expert
I think a variation of the slab, roof & mesh custom story dialog box, where you can choose to show on x stories up and/or x stories down would work a treat.

Shouldn't be too big an ask as the code is already there in a way.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Duane, could you share your code with the less GDL-literate of us?

Matthew, I need this for sewage ventilation for bathrooms and for chimneys, where the start from a certain level and go to the roof.