Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Smart dashed lines for roofs

Rick Thompson
Expert
This is an old wish, but still sorely needed. Any time roofs join you end up with a solid line on other stories. We need that fixed. It is not acceptable to have solid lines pretending to be dashed. Dashed mean above or below. Solid means something else entirely.

Picture 3.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
26 REPLIES 26
Erich
Contributor
Rick,

I agree this is quite important for professional appearing documentation.

There is also a similar issue with dashed polylines (sorry for the AutoCad term) and rectangles where the dashes do not join properly at the corners.

Archicad needs improvement in this area badly. I hope Graphisoft responds to this wish soon.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, u r right man . . .
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, let's vote again! Hope we'll be heard this time!
I still draw roof outlines with lines because of this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Yes, let's vote again! Hope we'll be heard this time!
I still draw roof outlines with lines because of this.
Me too, roofs are only there when I make my elevations and 3d views.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
As an architect, I say:
Absolutely essential.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
absolutely essential, i convinced my entire office to go archicad now i look like a jack-ass everytime my boss asks me to change this, and you're spot on this NEEDS to be resolved in order to maintain a professional drawing,

an essential change needed asap
Karl Ottenstein
I believe this is not a roof problem, but just another case of the even longer wished-for issue of ArchiCAD not displaying dashed (or any non-solid linetype) in a sensible way - so that two dashed lines on top of each other can result in a solid line.

Trying to reproduce this just now, I only had one valley that showed as solid. I dragged all of the roof planes away from one another, and all displayed properly as dashed.

My roof settings were for:
Show on Stories: all relevant stories
Floor Plan Display: Projected with Overhead
Show Projection: Entire Element
Uncut Lines: Solid Line
Overhead Lines: Dashed

and my Floor Plan Cut Plane was adjusted to include the entire roof.

Maybe I'm missing the problem though?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
It is a line issue - not peculiar to just roofs.
It just shows up mainly on roofs because all hips, valley and ridges are comprised of two roof polygons sharing one edge.

What I think would be a good solution in all cases is if all lines could be comprised from two pen colours.
One for the line portion and another for the gap.
The gap could be set as a white pen so that in all situation of one line on top of another it would always appear as dashed.
Maybe it could even have a transparent option as with the fills (background pen) for when you don't want to mask what is behind the gaps (but then why use a dashed line (unless colours are important)).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rick Thompson
Expert
I do know GS has acknowledged it as a "bug" of sorts, and was labeled for development.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display