BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Smartphone & Tablet Users - How Many of You Are There?

Do you use an internet enabled smartphone or tablet device?

If yes, click to vote. Any level of urgency will suffice.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
9 REPLIES 9
sityu
Booster
Suggestion:
'Not needed' should represent 'I don't use any smartphone or tablet'.
Talmácsi, István, architect (AC user since 1997, ac4.5 - now: ac18)
Right You are Istvan!
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Karl Ottenstein
I changed the questions, Aaron (as can you by editing your post).

When making a poll with a yes/no, it is best to edit the poll to have only two questions... you can freely add/delete poll items. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
As you can see I'm not a pollster. Then again, some architects ask better questions than others, too.

Merci infiniement Karl!
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
sityu
Booster
Dear Karl,
The first option should be "I use smartphone/tablet".
Because the usage is more informative than the possession.
Talmácsi, István, architect (AC user since 1997, ac4.5 - now: ac18)
Wonder where the other 107 viewers of this post fit in the chart.

In the "meh" category, I guess.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have/use both. Mostly for typical email/browsing/scheduling/notetaking stuff. Not so much for design review. Looking into design/coordination/management possibilities.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Because I work with historic structures I do a lot of existing conditions building surveys. I do this by hand now and have this fantasy about being able to have a drawing on my iPad on which I can make smart notes (i.e. when I bring them back to my desktop they are actually imported into the drawing program) and also link a photograph of the condition at hand - maybe even the option to link a short narrative if the problem can't be documented fully with photo and graphic notation.

I can do some of this (sort of) now but here are the drawbacks:

I can make notes on a PDF that is pulled into my iPad - but this really isn't much different from hand notes because ArchiCAD doesn't recognize them. You still have to go back to the office and manually transfer them into your cad documents.

The viewing of the PDF is sometimes a little frustrating - its too small or too big or you can't see enough or you need to see two or more drawings simultaneously.

Sometimes (actually a lot of the time) it's really hard to see the screen of your iPad in sunlight.

There's a "bog down" effect to the technology - you get too wrapped up in making the gadgets work and not seeing the real issues with the building.

For now, I don't see an advantage for field surveys.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mc0m wrote:
Because I work with historic structures I do a lot of existing conditions building surveys. I do this by hand now and have this fantasy about being able to have a drawing on my iPad on which I can make smart notes (i.e. when I bring them back to my desktop they are actually imported into the drawing program) and also link a photograph of the condition at hand - maybe even the option to link a short narrative if the problem can't be documented fully with photo and graphic notation.

I can do some of this (sort of) now but here are the drawbacks:

I can make notes on a PDF that is pulled into my iPad - but this really isn't much different from hand notes because ArchiCAD doesn't recognize them. You still have to go back to the office and manually transfer them into your cad documents.

The viewing of the PDF is sometimes a little frustrating - its too small or too big or you can't see enough or you need to see two or more drawings simultaneously.

Sometimes (actually a lot of the time) it's really hard to see the screen of your iPad in sunlight.

There's a "bog down" effect to the technology - you get too wrapped up in making the gadgets work and not seeing the real issues with the building.

For now, I don't see an advantage for field surveys.
For stuff like the surveying you are discussing, I still do not think iPads or smartphones are really up to speed with what you want them to do. I would just stick with a pencil and a pad of paper if I were you. However, you can use iPad as your primary phone if you make voip calls with it. All you have to do is contact the best voip provider and they will get you all set up.
Learn and get certified!