BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Stand alone 3D model viewer

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like a stand alone viewer for the 3D model...stand alone or included in Reviewer.

(I moved this from its orignal thread:)

"mathome" wrote:
mathome wrote:
I will stick to the v8 demo version of ArchiCAD which is an excellent browser if you're prepared to spend just a little time with the interface.

:)Mats

Yes, an excellent point Mats. Why in the world won't Graphisoft just package the 3-d window browsing capability of ver8 as a stand alone, non-editing viewer. Include a beginner GUI, perhaps recorded paths, cameras, etc so that we can direct the viewer also.

Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
This is a long standing wish of mine as well. What a great tool for including clients, contractors and consultants in the process without having to dumb-down the product. And what a great way for GS to promote AC outside the architecture community.

As noted this could easily be done today by manipulating the demo version. But don’t restrict the viewer to 3D only. Let the recipient have access to the View Sets pane of the Navigator. Thus the creators can determine what the recipient sees. Sending .pla files, while often uncomfortably huge, would avoid library issues.

Looking forward, an AC Viewer should be an important part of some much needed modernization of the ArchiCAD file structure. Modifying the library scheme so parts are always imbedded (like the current .pla) is a necessary move to enable trouble free portability. Updating Teamwork (with both more liberal and more restrictive rule sets) would give viewers access to an up-to-date model without constantly republishing, and enable comments and mark-ups to be seamlessly imported back into the master project file. This combination of key-less viewer and no-load access to library parts could even replace BGAC in the PM workflow, allowing near instant updates from any station on the network.

In short the ArchiCAD Viewer, if done well, will become the centerpiece of a new round table of collaboration. I couldn’t be more enthusiastic about this wish.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
But don’t restrict the viewer to 3D only. Let the recipient have access to the View Sets pane of the Navigator. Thus the creators can determine what the recipient sees. Sending .pla files, while often uncomfortably huge, would avoid library issues.
I had missed this wish when searching for a archicad viewer.
I agree the viewer should have access to the view sets and also never forget the all powerful 3D marquee. Many times this allows me to see areas of the building that would otherwise be unaccessible with old fashion 2d tools.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:

In short the ArchiCAD Viewer, if done well, will become the centerpiece of a new round table of collaboration. .
There is no real round table collaboration (using a viewer) with Builders unless data can be verified,LOL,try giving a viewer to the subs and see what happens...You might wish it to work in the virtual world...but we build in the real world--We went the reverse to you....Goodluck
Nuge
Advocate
Take a look at Zermatt http://www.zermatt.se/news.html

It works great for me and my clients, its a shame its so expensive.

Nuge
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
Learn and get certified!