Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Start Edition 2012

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad Start edition 2012 should support IFC and Archicad 15/16 and hotlinkes. I just checked the comparison list and ... so no chance to collaborate with other architects having expensive/extended version. Graphisoft should make more options for their products.

Otherwise it is same to buy an other affordable product, ArchlineXP, Sketchup or bonzai 3d or Vectorworks...
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this has a very slim chance of happening.
As you can see from the feature list practically all collaborative features of ArchiCAD are missing from the Start version. I believe Start Edition was not meant for such scenarios.

But I am not sure the file format of the normal and the starting edition is the same, so that would also prevent collaboration.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
Exactly as Laszlo says. Start edition is not intended to be an ArchiCAD "lite" for offices that want extra workstations. Not likely to change at all to include the features you request - people who need collaboration and other features not in Start should purchase a full license.

As far as file exchange, see this article:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/StartEdition

Edit: removed erroneous info subsequently corrected by Greg Blunier
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I think this has a very slim chance of happening.
As you can see from the feature list practically all collaborative feature of ArchiCAD are missing from the Start version. I believe Start Edition was not meant for such scenarios.

But I am not sure the file format of the normal and the starting edition is the same, so that would also prevent collaboration.
Yes, I totally agree that's why I wrote my wish to extend the existing features to be able to collaborate with big brother of Archicad or other softwares by at least IFC support. That would be great surprise. Hm,.
Eduardo Rolon
Or you can buy a Pay Per Use license or Rent one for when you have a project that needs to coordinate with full AC.

GS has different options on how you can buy the program. Start is for a solo practice that is not sure if AC is worth the money and has already used its 30 day trial.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Greg A_ Blunier
Contributor
Karl wrote:
SE can open full version PLN files ... but can only save to SE edition files, which someone with a full license cannot open. (I'm not sure what Graphisoft's policy is for someone who later upgrades to a full version - it would seem a shame for them to be left with 'orphaned' SE projects.)
Actually, I think that page says that SE canNOT open full version PLN files (unless they're from version 9 or older), but that the full version CAN open the SE files (unless the SE version is newer than the full version). This way, someone can easily transition up from the SE to the full version but not go the other way.
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full and ArchiCAD 7

Windows 10
Karl Ottenstein
Greg wrote:
Karl wrote:
SE can open full version PLN files ... but can only save to SE edition files, which someone with a full license cannot open. (I'm not sure what Graphisoft's policy is for someone who later upgrades to a full version - it would seem a shame for them to be left with 'orphaned' SE projects.)
Actually, I think that page says that SE canNOT open full version PLN files (unless they're from version 9 or older), but that the full version CAN open the SE files (unless the SE version is newer than the full version). This way, someone can easily transition up from the SE to the full version but not go the other way.
Ah, you're right, Greg! The typography in the column headings of using an SE prefix was not followed in the row labels, and so I was thinking the readability of 8.1 through 13 was what was being described.... and similarly the readability of SE by full version.

HUGE difference from what I stated below. In particular, it means that anyone with an SE license CAN easily migrate all of their projects to a full version, which is what I would have expected and was puzzled over.

I'm going to request an edit of the article to clarify that - by adding the SE prefix. (The table is a graphic, so I can't edit easily without the original.) And, edit my original post to avoid confusing anyone further.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually I do not care what Graphisoft strategy is, but the fact is If Graphisoft (Nemetschek) wants to stay in the CAD industry they should develop the business forward with more flexible options. Why am I saying this?

I just find this blog; just only the first 5 article is about REVIT.

http://www.formfollowsperformance.com/

Feature axed Revit version on the way (not Vasari) Many mainstream plugins are available as regards to Sustainability, Creativity ...

I am sure those plugins will be available for both versions too.

On the other hand; everyone ONLY! looking for Revit technicians, architect in Europe I mean: London, Germany, France.

That would be a dream If one time I could see Archicad related advertisements everywhere. So, nowadays I can put my Archicad skill into the bin this is a fact as well. It seems.

the cheaper product the more user.