Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Story Height and Buildings...

snow
Mentor

Hello together,

Of course, I'm not the first one who writes and "wishes" something in these realms.

But I miss different story-levels and height for different buildings in the same project so yearningly.

Earlier the slogan of Archicad was always: 'The program knows stories, floors'.

Today I liked so much to say 'Archicad knows buildings'.

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
3 REPLIES 3
Romans
Expert

This is one of the paramount wishes of generations of Archicad users.
In this regard, the main competitor has a perfect solution that could be considered industry standard...

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest

This is one of those daily problems we deal with in projects - particularly in mid- to large multi-building projects that take on different forms and floor heights and may not necessarily be phased separately (in which case I suppose in ArchiCAD you would go the "Hotlink" route) - and one that you'd think Graphisoft would have gotten around dealing with by now - especially given their heavy emphasis on chasing "big" customers and architect offices, which deal with these sizes and scale of projects.

Especially also given how much people have requested or wished for a better solution to it over the years (decades?)

Say you have a multi-tower project with 2, 3 or more towers that share a podium and parking levels, but which then adopt different storey height levels as they become separate towers (with some towers having office or hotel program with taller floor-to-floor height and others having residential or even a mix of both).

I realize some would say you just split the project per tower and common podium and then hotlink each separate tower from it's own file with it's own level settings to the main file with the common podium and parkade.

But as anyone who's had to go this route will tell you, this "solution" or workaround is rife with issues and problems of its own along with limitations that are just not that ideal to have to deal with.

I'm having a hard time believing that no on at Graphisoft has ever encountered or envisioned such a scenario or realized it needs a better solution than what we have now.

Or perhaps all the (actual) Architects have really left the building and "made by architects for architects is now only just an empty slogan? (that's a rhetorical question. The answer might be obvious from recent version releases)

Also, I don't entirely agree with the previous comment that the main rival (I'm assuming this was meant as Revit) has the best solution or a "perfect" that should be the industry standard.

It has perhaps and arguably a "better" solution than what we have in ArchiCAD (for a whole bunch of not necessarily related reasons), but as someonenow having to use Revit daily, I can say that at best (And in my ownhumble opinion), it's more of a "best of the worst" case or "best of a bunch of all terrible solutions"

snow
Mentor

I just know, that there is CAD program, called Revit... obviously earlier Autocad ... with I also have never used.

I used to say I want to do architecture and not produce an "Autos" (=car)

And yes, Archicad had this projection that it "knew" something about buildings -> the floor management...
So today, I repeat... Why should the program doesn't know just whole buildings themselves, not just ingredients of them?

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10