BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Story Info in 3D

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I wish we could click on something in 3D and see what story it belongs to.

Right clicking on it and having the choice to 'Select and Zoom to Element on Floor Plan' would do just fine.

And while I'm at it, I'd like to wish again for layer control in the context menu too - just like in the Floor Plan window.

That's all!

Cheers,
Link.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

While we're at how about story info in Plan view too?

Since elements can be visible on multiple stories it is often unclear what story something is on unless the setting is changed to "Own Story Only" and the element remains or vanishes.

I think a simple indicator in the Info palette would do. If we want to get fancy, maybe we could have a tab in the Edit Selection Set dialog that could show how many elements of each type are on what story and let us move them around (or is that too scary?).
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Link,

While we're at how about story info in Plan view too?

Since elements can be visible on multiple stories it is often unclear what story something is on unless the setting is changed to "Own Story Only" and the element remains or vanishes.
That's a good idea - just something at the top of the info box would do.
I think GS could expand on the ol' 'This element is inactive in this view' too. A brief description could help!
I think a simple indicator in the Info palette would do. If we want to get fancy, maybe we could have a tab in the Edit Selection Set dialog that could show how many elements of each type are on what story and let us move them around (or is that too scary?).
I dunno - whenever I submit a wish, I try to keep ArchiCAD's ease of use in mind. This could be a little boggling for new users.

Maybe GS could incorporate some kind of 'Pro Pack' add on, that included functions like this and the many other additional features the power users are after?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Re: Edit Selection Set possibilities...
Link wrote:
I dunno - whenever I submit a wish, I try to keep ArchiCAD's ease of use in mind. This could be a little boggling for new users.
I don't think this is so much an ease of use issue as an implementation and workability problem. Most new users (and surprisingly many veterans) don't even know about the Edit Selection Set dialog. Besides features that are slightly buried (like this one, Attribute Manager, etc.) tend to be more "power user" oriented anyway.

I don't think the "Pro Pack" is needed. (Unless you count the API.) There are enough dark and scary corners deep in the recesses of ArchiCAD to frighten the newbies off rummaging around and getting their fingers nibbled by GDL gremlins. But seriously ArchiCAD is a deep and complex professional program and I think everyone who uses it expects that there are many levels to be explored (the 23rd level with the four-armed, fire-breathing loan officer is particularly challenging).

Sorry, I think I'm getting off on a bit of an OT riff here. Hope it amuses...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
...Most new users (and surprisingly many veterans) don't even know about the Edit Selection Set dialog. Besides features that are slightly buried (like this one, Attribute Manager, etc.) tend to be more "power user" oriented anyway...
...There are enough dark and scary corners deep in the recesses of ArchiCAD to frighten the newbies off rummaging around...
My point exactly. Maybe this is a direction that GS should consider going. Making it less daunting for new users to pick up (by staging the learning curve), while increasing the functionality for power users. Incorporate it into a streamlined Add On Manager.

This could be reflected in the pricing structure too.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
And while I'm at it, I'd like to wish again for layer control in the context menu too - just like in the Floor Plan window.
try a fully customisable context menu:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=8650&highlight=#8650
My point exactly. Maybe this is a direction that GS should consider going. Making it less daunting for new users to pick up (by staging the learning curve), while increasing the functionality for power users. Incorporate it into a streamlined Add On Manager.

This could be reflected in the pricing structure too.
aarrrghh! no! two things on this:

firstly i think that archiCAD generally needs a user interface overhaul, also closely related to consistency thread going on at the moment. i believe that with careful thought the learning curve can be built into the user interface. apple's own software is particularly good at doing this: presenting you with a simple clean interface that you can gradually learn to use in more and more complex ways, customising it to more and more complex levels. in fact, apple sometimes go too far in this regard and the power features are far too hidden (some of the iApps)!

the key here is the transparency between the various levels of complecity.

secondly, there are enough 3rd party add-ons for archiCAD at the moment. should graphisoft introduce graded pricing structures, simply deciding on your 'mix-and-match archiCAD package' would be enough trouble, nevermind trying to justify the budget requirements to the powers that be!

just my 2p.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!