BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Story selectable marquee

Rick Thompson
Expert
Now you can select one or all stories to be controled by marguee actions. For most of my work, I will have a pitched roof on the top story so stretching an entire building will not work as the roof pitch changes...the roof must be dragged and then adjusted. So to be able to select, as an example, the foundation and floor 1 and floor 2, without the roof story would be faster. Even better would be to be able to lock the roof pitch and have the ridge height adjusting....but I'd be happy with story targeting for now. However, locking the roof pitch would be a great tool.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
3 REPLIES 3
Djordje
Ace
Rick wrote:
Now you can select one or all stories to be controled by marguee actions. For most of my work, I will have a pitched roof on the top story so stretching an entire building will not work as the roof pitch changes...the roof must be dragged and then adjusted. So to be able to select, as an example, the foundation and floor 1 and floor 2, without the roof story would be faster. Even better would be to be able to lock the roof pitch and have the ridge height adjusting....but I'd be happy with story targeting for now. However, locking the roof pitch would be a great tool.
1. You can see the stories except the one with the roof in the 3D window and do the stretching here with the 3D marquee

2. You can lock the roof layer and do the stretching with the fat marquee

The roof will have to be re-adjusted anyway.

What would be really COOL is that the roof should change the pitch, when stretched. Now it keeps the pitch and changes the shape (toggle?).
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rick Thompson
Expert
Djordje...thanks for the suggestion. I honestly have not played with working in the 3D window much, except for renderings and seeing how things are doing. Normally when I stretch a plan...say 2'...then I need to use the polygonal method to work around windows, walls doors, electrical (if I remember to make that layer visable:) ... etc, so I can't see how I could do it in 3D. But I will study up on this.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Djordje
Ace
Rick wrote:
Djordje...thanks for the suggestion. I honestly have not played with working in the 3D window much, except for renderings and seeing how things are doing.
I noticed this - please don't get me wrong - mostly with Mac users. Considering the lack of speed until recently, it is understandable. Try to do as much as possible in the 3D window, inside a marquee, on selected stories, in saved view sets, whatever - million of ways to reduce the strain on the machine and to see only what you want.

Yes, if you see something inside a marquee, you can AGAIN take the 3D marquee in the 3D window.
Normally when I stretch a plan...say 2'...then I need to use the polygonal method to work around windows, walls doors, electrical (if I remember to make that layer visable:) ... etc, so I can't see how I could do it in 3D. But I will study up on this.
Mind you, it would work only on the 3D elements - so beware of your patching, XRefs, electricals, whatever. For the time being, if you want to be sure that you stretched everything, you have to do it with the fat marquee in the plan.

Good luck, make that G5 pay for itself and SWEAT
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!