BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Story settings + renovation filters

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know there were some older posts on this topic, but they don't adress my specific suggestion.

The current story settings are not flexible for renovation projects. We always draw the current situation with the existing story settings, but often the new story setting are different.
In that case you either have to adapt your "existing" and "to be demolished" elements to your new settings. Which is a pain, especially as you are experimenting with different story settings. Or you have to offset the height of all new elements in reference to the story settings of the exisiting construction.

It could be a lot simpler with two story settings:

1. exisiting
2. new

Obviously the new story heights should not affect 'existing' and 'to be demolished' elements!

It would be even better if we could lock new elements or layers to prevent them from changing with the story settings. But my primary wish is to have stories implemented in the renovation status logic.
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
What happens if you just adjust the 'height to next' of your storeys so the original ones above the inserted story(s) stay the same?

For example you have storey 1 with height to next of 3000 (sorry metric) and storey 2 - also with height to next of 3000 (but this is irrelevant for the top storey).

Now you want to insert a mezzanine level at 1500.
So do that and adjust the height to next for storey 1 to 1500 and set the height to next for mezzanine to 1500.
Storey 2 remains at its original height of 3000.

Remember you are setting the 'height to next' storey and not the usable height of the storey. Your elements are not restricted to this height.

Or do I misunderstand what you are trying to do?
I very rarely have anything to do with renovations or inserted stories.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry, that's interesting, I had no idea you could insert a story while maintaining the relations of the other stories.

That's not only relevant for adding a mezzanine. I've had a couple of projects where one or more floors were demolished and new floors were added at other levels. To make a 3 story house of an older structure with high ceiling, or to lower all the floors in order to create extra space under the roof. In such a case all the new floor levels are different from the existing ones.

But apparently you can just add stories in between and all the existing elements remain linked to their original story. So if you add a story between 1 and 2, 2 becomes 3 and walls on 1 are now top linked to story number 3!

The only disadvantage I see is that the exisiting and new plans will relate to different stories, meaning you some extra layout work to do, but that's not a big problem.

I will give it a try if I have another project like that, but from a first quick test, it seems to solve the problem. So thanks a lot for the suggestion!
stories renovation.JPG
Barry Kelly
pitrak wrote:
I will give it a try if I have another project like that, but from a first quick test, it seems to solve the problem. So thanks a lot for the suggestion!
Excellent.
I am glad this seems to have helped.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
henryL
Enthusiast
There are a lot o workarounds but archicad still doesn't have a storeys grouping by building. Renovations or new buildings next to old ones are really annoying to model. Really hope on archicad 22.

This would be splendid idea also for conceptual design, where you can explore height levels between ideas. Or for example what is common in my country that investor after obtaining permit adds new story or change height levels.

So mu full support for this idea. 

Cheers,

Stefan

Versions 13 to 25
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
RAM:32GB
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
Windows 11
Learn and get certified!