Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Suspend groups in "stages"

Stuart Atkinson
Participant
I would like the ability to use the suspend group command in “stages”.

Ie
Draw some stumps (columns) – group.
Draw some bearers (beams) – group
Draw some joist (more beams) – group.
Now group all three groups together.

At the moment the suspend group command suspends all groups.
I would like a “suspend main group” command which would allow me to suspend the whole group but still allow me to select my previously grouped items as a group.
There would then be another option to suspend those items still grouped.

ArchiCAD has the capability to do this, as it remembers each group, and when you un-group things it breaks things down into whatever groups were existing.

Edit: Thought of a better way of describing it. Suspend groups in levels. Options then being suspend first level. Suspend second level etc.... until all levels of groups have been suspended. (Still with a suspend all groups command of course).
Cheers
Stuart
17 REPLIES 17
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can do this already by keeping grouping enabled and ungroup.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
No you can't, as they are then un-grouped, and to group the whole lot back together you have to select all the other groups/items to regroup them all again.
If you can suspend groups in levels you no longer need to un-group/regroup them.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ungrouping works differently depending on whether groups are enabled or disabled. But you still can't achive exactly what you want, so I understand you point.

AFAICS, the closest you can get is to group them in groups as you listed, then group them all together (nested groups). Then with groups enabled, you'd be able ungroup them, reducing them back to their original groups. From there you can work with them as groups, or further ungroup each group to work with them independently.

Then just regroup as required. So not a suspend group as you requested, but still gets the job done.

Cheers,
Link.

BTW. You still have the funniest avatar here IMO!
Anonymous
Not applicable
It should be like in Sketchup, doubleclick on a group to edit that group, doubleclick on a undergroup to edit that and so on, instead of disable groups.

And then we also want to create things in a group when we have a group in editmode.

We also want to the ability to add things to a group without create a new headgroup ofcause! This could be done with have a group in edit mode, rightclick - choose "add element to group" - select elements that you want to add and then choose "done" or something like that.

And then maybe we could make mirrors of that group in our model, so if we update a group, all the mirror groups would be updated to. But for that have I already make a similiar poll http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=24857

Stuart Atkinson
Participant
My point is they can implement it relatively easily.
You can do as many nested groups/individual items as you like and as long as you have groups enabled ArchiCAD will un-group them in the reverse order, so it already remembers what, when and how the groups were formed.
I just want to be able to utilize that.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can do exactly what you want now! When you make new groups you must have groups enabled. Thus AC keeps group hierarchy. When you ungroup with groups enabled you have this hierarchy working backwards.

I do not like the idea of double clicking, because this way I don't have good control on what I do.

I think groups work very well now! Complaints usually come from people, who don't know all the tricks with working with groups.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"kliment" wrote:

I do not like the idea of double clicking, because this way I don't have good control on what I do.

True, but me personally would like something similiar where I could edit a group by itself. A combination of hotlinked modules and groups.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TurboGlider wrote:
It should be like in Sketchup, doubleclick on a group to edit that group, doubleclick on a undergroup to edit that and so on, instead of disable groups.
Oh, that would be so good. I've posted before about forgetting to switch off 'suspend groups' and ending up with copies of groups that have fallen apart.

I guess it depends on how you use groups. Everyone in our office seems to have different ideas about this - but I'm always reluctant to ungroup a group that someone else has made (for their own good reasons). But then if you suspend groups, all the nested groups fall apart!

Maybe modules would be the answer (if we had 'in place' editing!)

Keith
Archicad Ver 12 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
vistasp
Advisor
Can't it just be a simple group/ungroup of a selection (if there is a selection) instead of always being global? Grouping in AC has always confused the heck out of me.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |