Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Team Leader Access

Anonymous
Not applicable
Team Leaders should be able to sign into the teamwork file at any time, without exclusive access, to make changes to the file (modify layer combinations, quickviews, etc.). It is a huge loss in time to require everyone to sign out of a drawing in order to allow the team leader to make a couple of changes.
15 REPLIES 15
TomWaltz
Participant
Granted, They already can (Layer combinations in AC9, View Settings in AC10).
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Tom, I did not realize some items had been released for editing without exclusive access. And yes, here comes he but. What about those items that have not been released? Why do we need exclusive access anyway? The password ensures that only trusted team members can make changes to the file and I cannot think of any change that can be made to the file that would cause the file to become unstable for those signed in. Down with exclusive access!
TomWaltz
Participant
Josh wrote:
Thanks Tom, I did not realize some items had been released for editing without exclusive access. And yes, here comes he but. What about those items that have not been released? Why do we need exclusive access anyway? The password ensures that only trusted team members can make changes to the file and I cannot think of any change that can be made to the file that would cause the file to become unstable for those signed in. Down with exclusive access!
Exlusive access maintains the #1 rule of teamwork: Only one person can change something at one time.

As Team Leader, you can make a lot of changes, but you still cannot override something that someone else has signed out. For example, you cannot delete a detail or a section or a layer someone else has signed out. Only the person who has it signed out can do that. I can see why something like deleting layers, that can span several views and several users (like if it's a 2D layer used in plans, elevations, and details, and could have tons of content shared by several users).

I think it's a little silly that Profiles and Project Info can only be edited with exclusive access. I think those should be "team leader" roles.

It's really not about trust at all. It's about collecting all the project attributes together than can be changed (layer combinations, line types, fills, etc), and allows one person to edit those things at one time. Can you imagine signing out fill types???

As much as Teamwork bugs me, there is a real logic to it.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
No offense, but we may have to agree to disagree on this one. My view is the team leader makes changes requested by other team members based on an overall understanding of the project needs. Therefore a change made by the team leader would only be done with total agreement from the entire team. So if a team member requests a change to the file (for example deleting a layer) the team leader accesses the need for that layer for the entire team and keeps it or deletes it accordingly. Often in our office these changes need to be done at crunch time (not necessarily deleting layers) and forcing everyone to sign out to make one change to the file takes valuable time. Especially since signing out, making the change and then signing back in again for five to six people can be a rather long process.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I too favor liberalizing the Teamwork process. This could certainly be done by introducing options that would be selected at the time the project is first shared (or later with exclusive access) and set to match the particular team structure.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Geoff wrote:
I too favor liberalizing the Teamwork process. This could certainly be done by introducing options that would be selected at the time the project is first shared (or later with exclusive access) and set to match the particular team structure.
Agreed, such as modifying composites, based on new structural or sound ratings data from the engineer or acoustical consultant - it won't affect users workspace, it's merely modifying attributes of stuff that is signed out - should be allowed IMO...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
i concur... team lead access should be capable of allowing multiple people working on a project ability to edit what story, detail, page, what ever they reserve for themselves.... (let me make a layer combo, edit a composite or material... without always having to time consumingly change my workspace to team lead... after i have to wait for the one and only team lead to relinquish the role....)

time is money
Anonymous
Not applicable
i concur... team lead access should be capable of allowing multiple people working on a project ability to edit what story, detail, page, what ever they reserve for themselves.... (let me make a layer combo, edit a composite or material... without always having to time consumingly change my workspace to team lead... after i have to wait for the one and only team lead to relinquish the role....)

time is money
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Granted, They already can (Layer combinations in AC9, View Settings in AC10).
This has been changed in AC11! Now you have to have exclusive access to modify layer combinations! (Probably other things as well... I haven't had time to check)

If you use Teamwork, you need to call and bug your re-seller to get this function back in AC11.