Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Text label tool with a proper leader

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fix the independent label tool for text. Allow the leader line to align with the MIDDLE of the first line of text that spans over multiple lines. Currently it jumps to the top of the text box, which is above the text, or the middle of the text box, which can be confusing.
36 REPLIES 36
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Alas, AutoCAD 2008 has this one beat. AutoCAD's new Multileader object does everything that Labels should. The leader can start at the first or last line of text, it can contain multiple leaders, it has a wide range of editable marker shapes (or none) and it can be "scheduled" (as much as AutoCAD can extract data). They got us on this one (of course, it took them until now to make annotations self-scaling, and it works pretty badly). The Label tool needs an overhaul, but AT LEAST make it look right!

By the way, does anyone actually use the label tool with borders turned on? I would think that would be confusing on drawings.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Jere
Expert
Any idea if this is going to be fixed soon?

I like the idea of multiple leaders. I'm sure Revit can do this.

Personally, i like the idea of abolishing the separation between the text tool and the label tool. Text can simply be a label without a leader line. There should be the option to turn the leader line on or off, add multiple leader lines, etc.

Still....as always, essential.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Multiple Leaders including multiple leaders on BOTH SIDES of TEXT!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
4 years since the first wish was posted, 77% of voters deem this essential, and what seems like a minimal amount of work on Graphisofts end for something that is used regularly. How I wish that the small things had just a little priority in Graphisofts eyes.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I just figured I'd reiterate this one to keep the wishlist alive... FIX THE LEADER TOOL. I'm exploding a bunch right now in order to make them look OK. I can't blame my drafter, he thought he should use the label tool to make labels.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Mike wrote:
4 years since the first wish was posted, 77% of voters deem this essential, and what seems like a minimal amount of work on Graphisofts end for something that is used regularly. How I wish that the small things had just a little priority in Graphisofts eyes.
I think we're right on schedule for an ArchiCAD 34 release!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Da3dalus wrote:
...he thought he should use the label tool to make labels.
Silly drafter. Doesn't everyone know the chair tool is for labels?

Of course there is more to fix in the label tool than just the leader.
Paul King
Advisor
It still astounds me that this has not been fixed after such a long time - as things stand, ArchiCAD handicaps just about every user who takes any pride in graphic appearance of labels
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly I'm astounded that someone 3 years ago was astounded. Then if you look down further someone is exposing that the OP has opened this thread in 2007 and now its 2014...

I was liking the feature that a Label could be saved as a favorite with default text to take care of common labels/text notes we use all the time on drawings. When I tried to do the same with text. This default function is not available. Either the following could be done to essentially and significantly speed up drafting tasks for Archicad Users.

1.Text has a default text like Label has default text
2.Labels have a switch to turn off leaders

Apparently we need a new renderer in ArchiCAD 18. This appears to be more important to Graphisoft than users getting tools that have more functionality that will give users the time to complete tasks to use the Rendering engine. I note this post has been going for quite some time. The essential nature of quick drafting tasks seems to be lost to the developer of this software. Or are they saving this for BIM features in the future "drop a column your text is automatic".

We are being drip feed non-essential changes that are "nice" to have without consideration to Graphisoft considering the speed of common documentation tasks that they could start to overhaul and compete with Revit on.
Barry Kelly
strom wrote:
Or are they saving this for BIM features in the future "drop a column your text is automatic".
You can do that now - with any element.
Make sure the label style you want is associated to the element type in the label tool settings.
Then in the element settings make sure you tick the option to "Label Elements" and then when you place that element the label will automatically appear.

Rather than saving default text favourites for the content of the text (I do this for style, size, layer, etc., though) I either have a hole bunch of notes off to the side in my template that I can drag, drop and edit as needed or I have objects saved - some as standard notes and some as editable notes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11