Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

The Little Things - Embeded Hyperlinks

gavinNZz
Advocate
Hi,

How do I embed a web hyperlink into a piece of text within AC?. Can this even be done?

I know that a Hyperlink can be placed within an object and opened through BIMx but what about just a basic hyperlink embedded into a piece of text. MS word has had this functionality for 10+years so how is it not just a standard function within AC? simple as.... select text, right mouse click, apply hyperlink. done! (in a perfect world this would be available for any element)

I am aware that web links work if you paste the entire link into the document but that is more about the PDF software knowing what a http link is as opposed to AC embedding the link in the PDF when publishing.

The AC publisher functionality already embeds the 'page jump' links into the detail and section markers but I have been unable to find the code that creates the PDF link functionality and I fear it is hidden in the publishing process.

In the NZ building industry PDF is still the king of documents and we are a long way away from a BIM3 environment so the control of PDF's is super important as they form the central point from which all project information is accessed, whether from within the PDF itself or externally, hence the need for embedded hyperlinks.

If this is not currently possible in AC, how exposed is the publishing functionality within the API to allow an add-on to place hyperlinks in a published document? Even if the hyperlink is created through a custom GDL object as opposed to embedding it within an AC text element.

AC, please get the little things sorted.

Thanks
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
11 REPLIES 11
gavinNZz wrote:
Hi,
How do I embed a web hyperlink into a piece of text within AC?. Can this even be done?
Probably not the solution you're looking for but a workaround would be to include the web address in your text in AC anyways, then open in Acrobat and apply the link.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
gavinNZz
Advocate
Thanks Rex,
Yes you are right, I could just apply links in a PDF editor but I am talking about maybe having 100 of these links predefined throughout my drafting template so applying them everytime externally is not something I would be including in my work flow.
Planworks Ltd
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
Oh, for sure, I agree. I could see this feature being useful for project specs, and even for creating marketing PDF for home or condominium sales, etc.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Barry Kelly
I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but you can add QR codes to you plans.
They are not click-able from the screen, but you can scan them from the screen or even when printed on paper (you will never be able to click a link on paper!).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry wrote:
I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but you can add QR codes to you plans.
Nice! That would be a fun little interaction during a presentation.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
gavinNZz
Advocate
Yes thanks I have used QR codes in the past to allow access to on-line BIM models from the printed plan set. Systems like Kubity have QR reader buil into a dedicated app which makes site access to BIM models really easy and then add in the Augmented reality functionality and it maks for an awesome tool

The question really is why this isn't embedded links just a standard feature? Its such a basic function that is available in most other publishing systems. Taking it a step further there should also be embedded links in objects and fills so web access can be provided directly from clicking on a toilet in the plan for example.

The information is already being embedded in these objects for use in ifc systems so its not much of a step to allow the PDF publishing to access these links too.
Planworks Ltd
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi All,

Thank you for your active participation on the forums!

I'm happy to say that we took notice of this request and added it into our WishList!
For future reference, the Wish number is 8112.

I hope we will see this being implemented in the future!

Until then, I wish you all a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please don't forget to integrate some of the URL shortening (and thus link management) services found online. This would be amazingly useful because you could then change the URL at a later date when the initial one has changed (due to vendor site restructuring for example). Even Graphisoft could provide such service at a profit.
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
petsagouris wrote:
Please don't forget to integrate some of the URL shortening (and thus link management) services found online. This would be amazingly useful because you could then change the URL at a later date when the initial one has changed (due to vendor site restructuring for example). Even Graphisoft could provide such service at a profit.
Hi,

Thank you!
I have added your note into the Wish

Have a great day!
Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

Still looking?