BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

The Little Things - Embeded Hyperlinks

gavinNZz
Advocate
Hi,

How do I embed a web hyperlink into a piece of text within AC?. Can this even be done?

I know that a Hyperlink can be placed within an object and opened through BIMx but what about just a basic hyperlink embedded into a piece of text. MS word has had this functionality for 10+years so how is it not just a standard function within AC? simple as.... select text, right mouse click, apply hyperlink. done! (in a perfect world this would be available for any element)

I am aware that web links work if you paste the entire link into the document but that is more about the PDF software knowing what a http link is as opposed to AC embedding the link in the PDF when publishing.

The AC publisher functionality already embeds the 'page jump' links into the detail and section markers but I have been unable to find the code that creates the PDF link functionality and I fear it is hidden in the publishing process.

In the NZ building industry PDF is still the king of documents and we are a long way away from a BIM3 environment so the control of PDF's is super important as they form the central point from which all project information is accessed, whether from within the PDF itself or externally, hence the need for embedded hyperlinks.

If this is not currently possible in AC, how exposed is the publishing functionality within the API to allow an add-on to place hyperlinks in a published document? Even if the hyperlink is created through a custom GDL object as opposed to embedding it within an AC text element.

AC, please get the little things sorted.

Thanks
Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I have been harping on about this for a while now myself also!

with the hyperlinking it should be able to work in the way you can do it in 'MS word' as in; a link is applied to a piece of text, but the url is itself hidden, without the need for a written url or url shortener at all.

ie:

Link to this thread

instead of

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=67474&p=300257&hilit=hyperlink#p300257

Hyperlinking should work throughout ArchiCAD and bimx files, it works great with elevation, section and detail reference markers, but simple things such as the sheet index should automatically hyperlink the page numbers so they can one click jump to the page from the cover sheet in a pdf, I have had to set this up manually using individual references for each page which is a bit of a work around and a bit of work as soon as pages are added or removed, but this could easily be coded to work automatically,

Other such places are the title block where in a pdf someone can click on your business website or
links to social platforms, email address would bring up the 'mailto:' prompt and phone numbers can be opened via mobile or skype for example. physical address can bring up google map.
and within the archicad documentation links to manufacturer websites or products.
if you are viewing the documentation only as a pdf, links could take you to bimx hypermodel stored on graphisoft website, links to videos on youtube (once upon a time youtube videos could embed into pdfs, not sure why that changed?), or link to a VR twinmotion model to the web somehow?
a plan of the building with hyper links to photorenders from differing angles from an external source renderer such as twinmotion, perhaps twinmotion could talk back to archicad and show on plan where this view marker would be located. think outside the box, the sky is the limit.

glad to hear Graphisoft are looking at this one.
jakubc7
Advocate

Has this issue been addressed yet - it was mentioned that this was logged as Wish 8112 in 2020. Using v25 and still don't see a way to add a URL / Hyperlink to my documents or titleblock?

ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!