BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Tool combination

Anonymous
Not applicable
Per the discussion at this location, I'd like to wish upon a star that some future release of AC will seriously consider the idea of combining some of the standard tools, since they are so similar in their operation, much like the Section/Elevation tools which are already combined.

The tools to be considered are the Door/Window tools and the Roof/Slab tools, both sets of which seem like pretty much the same tool. This would mean that when updating time comes, only 2 tools would need updating versus 4 tools now.

We're already using the roof tool for a pitched garage slab, for example. Combining would make things such as the above more intuitive. And now, I will allow other wiser users to expand on this idea...
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Sergio,

expanding D/W, S/R tools combination wish like S/E, I have thought about schedules. How to filter these objects and structural elements in calculation lists? Maybe just adding "same" S/E's marker switch box into new D/W, S/R Tools Pallete will be the easiest way (as min. is good template to start working in this direction)?
Another Filtering Method is "Element ID". But as I'm thinking this must always be as separate additional Subfiltering method in each case.

So the AC filtering technology in hierarchical tree will look like this:
>Object Type
>>Internal ID
>>>Element ID
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Tool(s) that I wish to see combined:
1. "Level Dimension Tool"+"Elevation Dimensioning (Dimension Tool)"
2. We have "Wall Extras" as Window Lib Obj's & "Wall End Tool". I wish to see one separate "Wall Extras Tool"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I suppose the only issue to keep in mind with Doors/Windows is that there should be a selection swich so you can choose whether the opening is a door or window so they can show up in the proper schedule, and have the proper tag attached to them. We still use separate Door and Window schedules, and our Door tags still look different and contain different text from our Windows.
__archiben
Booster
Sergio wrote:
I suppose the only issue to keep in mind with Doors/Windows is that there should be a selection swich so you can choose whether the opening is a door or window so they can show up in the proper schedule, and have the proper tag attached to them. We still use separate Door and Window schedules, and our Door tags still look different and contain different text from our Windows.
that would be handled automatically by the object 'subtype'. as it already is, i believe. the tool itself would be able to handle objects of subtypes x, y and z (doors, windows, skylights). the schedule handles the difference between those subtypes . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
Z.Bauer wrote:
2. We have "Wall Extras" as Window Lib Obj's & "Wall End Tool". I wish to see one separate "Wall Extras Tool"
no - you build 'extras' into the tools that they are compatible with - so that they become a sub-element in the same way that markers are sub-elements of detail and sect/elev elements.

this is the principle that cadimage have used in their framing add-on: there is a new pane added to the door and window tools that handles the 'lintel'. the lintel is a GDL object that is used as a sub-element of the door and window objects . . .

your initial thoughts were for 'combining tools' but in actual fact you are wishing for a future of assemblies and sub-assemblies . . . the natural progression from 'tools' to 'building components'.

~/archiben
lintel.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank's for feedback, ~/archiben!

Yes, I know that they are sub-elements. I had made haste.
I just wished to report that "Windows Settings Dialog" isn't correct place for "Wall Extras". And combining "Wall Extras" with "Wall End Tool" is better solution.
Z.Bauer wrote:
I wish to see one separate "Wall Extras Tool"
Now I have better Idea!

I wish to see/have in AC powerful tool pack called "extras". Maybe you give better name.
* Those must be universal intelligent extra parts, they automatically will pass to all constructions (walls, columns, beams, slab/roof in future maybe also to foundations, and also why to stairs).
** There must be optional switch box to choose wether the object for wich kind will be used. It means that user must choose if the extra is monolit part of structure (in this case they must be calculated together as one complex building construction) or it is separate decorative part of structure (like molding, etc). I heard that something like this is still in AC10betta!
***...the idea needs development!
~/archiben wrote:
your initial thoughts were for 'combining tools' but in actual fact you are wishing for a future of assemblies and sub-assemblies . . . the natural progression from 'tools' to 'building components'.
~/archiben
Definitive, yes!!! But because of CAD World Development turtle speed... 😉 At first I wish to have comfortable working environment. And on the way natural progression!
Anonymous
Not applicable
no - you build 'extras' into the tools that they are compatible with - so that they become a sub-element in the same way that markers are sub-elements of detail and sect/elev elements.

Quite right Ben

For example what you need is for a door opening is a sill sub-element, a frame sub-element, a leaf sub-element, jamb detail/cavity closer/reveal sub-element, and a lintel/ brick arch etc. sub-element. And to be able to create an opening by selecting each sub-element individually. You would still need different objects for different opening shape, arched openings, triangular openings etc.

Then adding a single sill sub-element to your library makes it available for every door and window. The objects in 9 are sort of getting there with object sub-types, but this is scripted in the object not the tool, so you need to be a programmer to sort out adding a new sill to your entire library. You should be able to drop one in your library the way you can a window/door marker.

In this way you wont have the frustration of finding that there is a door object that looks fine on plan, but does not come with the right type of leaf for your 3D, because the programmer didn't think you needed that leaf type for that of door (Bifold doors).

Nor would you have to use an internal door object for an external door because the right leaf was not available.

Nor would you have problems in changing a single leaf door to a door-and-a-half.

Nor would you have to reset the width and height of a window, when you change the window from a sash window to a casement etc.

And you could add a custom window or door to your library and utilize the sills, cavity closers etc. that are in the library with your new object.

Having just picked up ArchiCAD for a housing project with a variety of windows, all with the same heads, sills and jambs this issue has been leaping out the screen at me.

So the big question, which I don't expect an answer to, is 'is this in 10?'.
Learn and get certified!