Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

True inline attributes

runxel
Legend
At the moment all attributes you define inline will be added to the project.
This is clearly nonsense and just pollutes the attributes list.
(Ever downloaded a window from bimobjects just to find you suddenly have 2000 new materials? )

We need the ability to have true inline attributes, meaning attributes, that are only available inside the object that defined them.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
runxel wrote:
We need the ability to have true inline attributes, meaning attributes, that are only available inside the object that defined them.

I absolutely agree.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
runxel wrote:
At the moment all attributes you define inline will be added to the project.
This is clearly nonsense and just pollutes the attributes list.
(Ever downloaded a window from bimobjects just to find you suddenly have 2000 new materials? )

The worst one we ever downloaded were the KLING Loading Dock Objects. They create RAL surfaces (192) and the whole thing behaves like a virus without our ever having placed a single object in a file.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. This is very annoying.
But for me nothing is worse than an Attribute Avalanche by a bunch of hotlinked modules.
So I voted Maybe... Until we have a Dedicated Shared Resource File that would surely address this issue.
Sorry for the advertising.
In order to use manufacturers object libraries we need TRUE inline attributes.

I actually thought this was the case with all attributes as it is for Surfaces but I just tested Fills and was very disappointed to find the attributes polluted.

I do think that Fills are less important than Surfaces as we should be using industry standards for material representation with Fills, so there should not be custom fills coming in from external content (in an ideal world, which sounds like a ludicrous term to even say in this day and age). Last year I completed a project for Knauf plasterboard in which we created an automatic attribute generator; one of the key considerations was to ensure we only use OOTB Archicad Fills. Though this contents purpose was to populate attributes we still wanted to be efficient and not create unnecessary attributes.

Has anyone tested Lines
Fills - No: I just tested, as other have, and confirmed they do populate the attributes.
Surfaces - Yes: from my test just then and all the content I have created that has inline surfaces they do NOT populate the attributes.
Lines - ??
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
DGSketcher
Legend
I had this attribute pollution from a BIMcomponents window manufacturer which introduced their full colour pallet. As a consequence I try avoid using their components for this reason. In an ideal world I agree, non-generic component attributes should be self contained.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
Kristian wrote:
Has anyone tested Lines

Lines defined in an object script do create new attributes as well.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This sounds to me like an Essential wish.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-1290). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

I have just come across this problem again.

In version 22, attributes defined in an object were not added to the attribute list until that object was actually placed..

My office has just made the jump from 22 to 25.

In 25, that object just has to be in your loaded library and it will add to the attributes.

Great, because as we have been converting our old jobs to 25, some of the fills are getting messed up.

So somewhere between 22 and 25, the way it works changed.

Why?

So it's not really an idea that needs implementing.

It is a bug that needs fixing.

Barry

Versions 6.5 to 27