Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Undesirable behavior: Schedule Preview Annotation Disappears Without Warning

jameshart
Newcomer
Typically we use one of ArchiCAD's automatically generated schedules to generate our Window Type elevations (please see attached for a sample of what this typically looks like.) Our window schedule references these types.

On our current project, our annotation from the Window Types schedule has suddenly disappeared 3 times. When this happened the last time, we noticed that the annotation disappeared after a change was made to the schedule scheme settings. This problem is similar to another problem discussed here: 

When we asked GS Support for help, they asked the developers who responded with this:
This issue is not caused by a known bug or limitation rather (#177073) because it is a result of how the Schedule works. The Annotations are thrown away when the Criteria set changes and an element is not listed anymore. The workaround could be annotating at the end of the design process and saving multiple Schedules instead of changing the View settings of them (changing the Schedule's View settings could also cause the same symptoms).

This is alarming. The stuff that was thrown out was information that we consciously took the time to draw, and ArchiCAD discarded it with no warning. I do not believe this is desirable or (even acceptable) behavior.

It was suggested that we should wait to make any annotations until after the schedule scheme is finalized. While at first this seems reasonable, how often in your life has something been 100% correct on the first try? Our office has good standard processes that make these kind of scheme changes rare, but buildings are often unique, and sometimes adjustments are unforeseen and necessary. The idea that when a single schedule adjustment is necessary, we should just be ok with starting the annotation over again from the beginning is unrealistic (and way beneath ArchiCAD’s quality.)

I wish that this problem would be addressed in some way. At the bare minimum, ArchiCAD should warn us before discarding all our work. But the problem seems to run deeper than that: Based on the developer's response and the in the post above, it sounds like ArchiCAD associates the schedule preview annotation to the schedule cell itself (the second window in the schedule) NOT the window object itself. I recognize developers are smart people and that I am not a developer, but It seems like the both the scheme settings issue and the renovation status issue could be fixed if the schedule annotation was associated in the object itself and NOT merely to the schedule. Or perhaps someone else has a good suggestion for a way to address this?

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 10.12.57 AM.png

ArchiCAD 22 (6021 USA Full), 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W iMac Pro, 64 GB RAM, MacOS 10.14, AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64
15 REPLIES 15

I don't think it will work for teamwork.

Not even for a standard PLN if you open it on other machines.

The registry key will need to be set the same on every machine that will open the file.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Yvonne
Advocate

Are there any updates on this? We're still experiencing this issue and it's so frustrating and time consuming to redo work. 

AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yvonne,

Which Archicad version are you using?

If you are using AC24/AC25, then you can set a Registry Setting as detailed above by Minh to prevent these deletions:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Undesirable-behavior-Schedule-Preview-Annotation-Di...

ScheduleAnnotations-RegistryEntry.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Archicad 25 - the issue is having to set this up on every computer and the potential file size it cause the files to become. What would happen if a computer that doesn't have the registry set up opens a file where everyone else working on it has it set up? 

AC26 | Win11 | 64 bit | 32Gb RAM | Intel i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yes, unfortunately, you have to set this up on every computer. I don't know if it is possible for someone in your office to maybe write a small batch file (if this is even possible) so you would only have to run that on each computer instead of doing it manually on each computer.

About the file size increase: I would not be that concerned about that. I would suppose that these manually placed elements in Schedule Cells are only a small fraction of the file size of the Project. But you could reconsider this if you see big increases in file size over time. However, by default I would not be too worried about that. Just my 2 eurocents.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There is an additional thing to consider, which is about Schedules and Views, detailed in this post:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Collaborate-forum/lost-annotation-within-schedule/m-p/186045/hig...