Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Undo operations that work

Anonymous
Not applicable
Playing around with AC12 (trying to learn it to work with a colleague), and going through the training guides, one thing I've noticed a few times is that the Undo command is rather selective in what it will and won't do?

For example, I edit a composite wall structure, change something in it and OK, but if I don't like what I then see on screen I can't undo the change? I have to either remember exactly what the setup was before I made the change, or save before I do the edit so I can close down and then reopen to be where I was, neither of which is particularly sophisticated or difficult but frankly silly.

Is there any particular reason why Archicad should not undo to the previous state, or is the undo queue not capable of handling this? I would have though it would be quite important to undo such changes given it would be quite easy to screw up a project this way!
8 REPLIES 8
Composite structure or profile or linetype, fill etc..are some kind of external reference and that's why they are not in the undo que. (You can import the previous setting of them by using atribute manager from the previous version of Your file)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the Undo queue is mostly related to element creation and modification.
Those thing that are not doing that will not get into the Undo queue.
For example, if you modify any attribute or its definition: that will not be part of the Undo queue. If you switch from 2D to 3D: that won't be either. If you turn on Guide Lines: that won't be either. And so on and so on.
I now there are programs where any kind of action you perform gets into the Undo queue. ArchiCAD works differently in this aspect.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Wokka
Contributor
I agree that this can be a problem sometimes but as many of these "undo's" would be hidden from the user, it would require some sort of user warning, similar to the object viewing above/below the current storey. If I'm about to undo a layer combination change, SEO, complex profile, pen set change or other unseen attribute, I think this would be manditory. There's a fair bit more thought that needs to go into this one....
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
So is the work process in Archicad then that you do changes that you might not be sure of to the side, e.g. a varied wall type or stair, then when you're happy with it apply them generally?

I know the working processes for Autocad/ACA but am stumbling over them with things like this in Archicad, just as well I'm finding out in a training guide project and not something live!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm used to AutoCAD and new to ArchiCAD too and I find the undo thing frustrating also. I think it's a problem and I'd like to see everything I do in ArchiCAD show up on the undo que. how hard is it to hit cntrl-z? much easier and faster than having to be deliberate in drafting and aware of what the AC undo command encompasses.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
...would be hidden from the user, it would require some sort of user warning, similar to the object viewing above/below the current storey. If I'm about to undo a layer combination change, SEO, complex profile, pen set change or other unseen attribute, I think this would be manditory...

and not talking about Teamwork environment and undoing changes in shared library parts. Autocad is far less complex in terms of database as it does not work with BIM principles where one action can trigger a chain reaction in particular if undone data affects hidden parts of a model.... and you would not want to click on a few dozens warnings about potential problems.... so I believe there is a good reason to limit the undo queue to selected actions.
::rk
Djordje
Ace
cesarzlu wrote:
I'm used to AutoCAD and new to ArchiCAD too and I find the undo thing frustrating also. I think it's a problem and I'd like to see everything I do in ArchiCAD show up on the undo que. how hard is it to hit cntrl-z? much easier and faster than having to be deliberate in drafting and aware of what the AC undo command encompasses.
You should first understand that you are not drafting. You are creating building elements.

If something does not look the way you want, edit it.

Undo clears the actions that CREATE BUILDING ELEMENTS.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I think the Undo queue is mostly related to element creation and modification.
Those thing that are not doing that will not get into the Undo queue.
For example, if you modify any attribute or its definition: that will not be part of the Undo queue. If you switch from 2D to 3D: that won't be either. If you turn on Guide Lines: that won't be either. And so on and so on.
I now there are programs where any kind of action you perform gets into the Undo queue. ArchiCAD works differently in this aspect.
As the "I" of BIM becomes still more prominent, and the requirements of 4D and 5D press in on BIMs, won't there be enormous pressure for a transactional database in the hands of the user? Getting a more thorough undo queue in operation might be a step toward that future state.