BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

User Specified Attributes

Michael Chacon
Participant
It would be great if there were a button in the window and door object dialog box (and other object types) that allows a user to first set preferred attributes (pens, line types, door/window style, materials, etc.) and then press the default button. From that point on (for all projects) the user would know all attributes of a window/door (or other object) and would only need to modify window/door type and size. In essence creating a default set of parameters customized to the users preferences. Favorites is OK, but requires more mouse clicks and object management.
3 REPLIES 3
__archiben
Booster
Michael wrote:
Favorites is OK, but requires more mouse clicks and object management.
why don't you just overwrite the defaults of an object then? re-save it in your company library. every time it's selected in the object browser the settings will as you've saved them . . .

i would prefer to see a favourites enhancement myself. although they could quite easily suit your purpose now. it's not that much of an effort is it?!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Michael wrote:
... it's not that much of an effort is it?!

~/archiben
Three whole clicks:
1. Favorites
2. Select the item
3. Apply.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
s2art wrote:
~/archiben wrote:
Michael wrote:

... it's not that much of an effort is it?!

~/archiben

Three whole clicks:
1. Favorites
2. Select the item
3. Apply.

FAVORITES only serves part of the issue. It's fine as a repository for a previously defined object, but it has no function in defining the object in the first place. For any particular project one has standard window and door parameters--trims, sills, thresholds, etc. And I don't know how others are working, but I don't use the same window and door designs for every project.

So first, it would be nice to be able to set project global parameters, like Michael suggested, and then crank out the various instances with their varying details. Door & Window Builder is good that way, but I've found it has so many panes of parameters with indecipherable nomenclature and windows that don't size properly, that the time savings get wasted.

Secondly, it would be helpful to be able to organize various designs with easier accessibility than scrolling through a FAVORITES palette with hundreds of different windows.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Learn and get certified!