Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

View manager

Miquel Garcia
Participant
A View Manager that allows to share view sets between different files in the same way that Attribute Manager allows to share attributes !
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1
5 REPLIES 5
__archiben
Booster
i have voted 'not needed' (sorry) on the grounds that another manager is not what we need!

however, i am totally in agreement with you that we do need to be able to manage the viewsets across projects. to this end, i would wish for a development of the attribute manager into a comprehensive file asset management dialogue: viewsets, attributes, favourites, etc. possibly this could be extended to include user 'assets' too: toolbars, palettes, keyboard shortcuts . . .

let's not spread things out so that we have to go around the menus looking for a whole bunch of separate tools that essentially do the same thing: keep it all in one place!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben,

I am voting "essential" to balance your vote and endorse your approach. I was holding off on responding to this one until I saw your suggestion.

The Attribute Manager needs to expand it's role (and be promoted from add-on status). It should incorporate (i.e. replace) the various settings dialogs.

Boy, there is a lot to this one. Maybe I'll come back to it later.
__archiben
Booster
matthew

it is something that i have been thinking about since reading your 'one file format' wish. can't remember what triggered it . . . i think it struck me that using a teamworkable file format for all files and keep it transparent for users not wanting to teamwork would require a robust 'project set-up' type dialogue.

this would take all of the project related 'assets' and put them into one place so that the teamworking environment wouldn't interfere with some attribute management and not others as it currently does. it would also make clear which of the preferences (and other obscurely located settings currently available) get saved with the job file. these would possibly be controlled by the CAD manager/teamleader/administrator, leaving the user free to tweak any other setting as necessary to maximise their own efficiency. when being used as a solo project, the whole dialogue would be available to the user yet the distinction would still be clear between project/user settings = good practice and easy migration to teamworking.

at the start of a project a set-up dialogue could manifest itself to new users as a walkthrough type affair - much the same as beginning a new website in dreamweaver. it would also allow you to 'go advanced' to manage all of that files assets and tweak them to suit the project at the beginning and also at any stage of the job.

hmm. i know what i'm trying to get at here, but re-reading it i don't think that i've been as clear as i could . . . more tomorrow when my brain has had a rest perhaps.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
matthew

it is something that i have been thinking about since reading your 'one file format' wish. can't remember what triggered it . . .

...hmm. i know what i'm trying to get at here, but re-reading it i don't think that i've been as clear as i could . . . more tomorrow when my brain has had a rest perhaps.

~/archiben
Ben,

I know the feeling. While this wish list (and the forum in general) is a great means for communication among users and with Graphisoft it starts to seem like a big pile of loosely connected features. I keep coming back to these big comprehensive visions for how all these desires could be satisfied in an elegant and coordinated way. Ultimately this is beyond the scope of this forum and is up to Graphisoft to make manifest. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I sincerely hope that the folks in Budapest have that vision as well as the discipline and resources to realize it. Otherwise we may all be switching eventually to the Zoogdesign discussion and hoping that Autodesk will take care of us after all the competition is eliminated (makes me shudder to think...).
Miquel Garcia
Participant
~/archiben wrote:
i have voted 'not needed' (sorry) on the grounds that another manager is not what we need!
Yes, you're right. The attribute manager must be improved instead of adding another manager. Only one tool to do the same conceptual tasks.
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1