Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Visabilty & functions Layermanger

daviiiiidave
Advocate
I wish an advanced layermanager.
One of the most used things in AC.

yesterday i got an file from an big project and it was a total mess. 100 of layers and minutes of search the right thing. the filter option is not enough.

Please add more options to get a better Visabilty.
Like Bold, Italic, Underline, Colors, Groups/Folders, some seperation lines, null layer, show materials/profiles etc. applied on layerobjects via customable symbols

ARCHICAD 19-25, Student & Full Archicard, CI Tools, Germany
Mifcom Renderbox AMD Ryzen 9 5900X GeForce RTX 3070 TI 32GB RAM 980 PRO SSD Win10
Thinkpad P52 4K i7 8850H NVIDIA Quadro P3200 (6 GB) 32 GB RAM SSD Win10 Pro

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
this is smthing coming up for a looong time. I agree totally

Also it is annoying if you hide a layer in view there is no way to update your layer combination coz when you select the layer combination to update it resets back
Color layer please !
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
DGSketcher
Legend
Grouping / sub-folders and searching are top of my list.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
henryL
Enthusiast
Totally need more control on layermanager.
Now i have to create very long layer names with codes inside to get a minimum control over layers
With BimServer and BimCloud we had to collaborate by a single model
By this way it might be great to lock or unlock a layer or some layers for each collaborater
The MEP engineer could work on the sigle model without go through external files (recollement, loss of time and energy but especially strong risks of errors)
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree and raise: maybe is not totally matching, but who doesn't need a "no-plot" layer like in Acad?
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Christophe wrote:
With BimServer and BimCloud we had to collaborate by a single model
By this way it might be great to lock or unlock a layer or some layers for each collaborater
The MEP engineer could work on the sigle model without go through external files (recollement, loss of time and energy but especially strong risks of errors)
Christophe,

Please review below my post about the ability to reserve elements by layer/having them attributed to specific roles.
Is this something you would like to have added to BIMCloud?!

I feel the need to structure our models so that certain roles (architect, engineer, hvac…) have restrictions on the layers they are able to use/edit. This way someone with the right to add electrical/piping data to the model would only be able to add this to specific layers. Therefor she/he would never be able to move structural elements (walls, floors), even if they aren't reserved by anyone.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=51155&p=302837

I will create a small document showing what I feel could greatly improve the BIMCloud solution.

Greetz...

Johan
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
Hi Johan,

I think it's a great idea but I don't need it yet cause I do modules which ignores the modules nested
An engineer works in a teamwork module A
An architect works in a teamwork module B
Both benefit from a customizable and secure environment that allows them to not be able to intervene on the work of the other like this illustration :

The main flaw of this method is that both designers can not use chat for their collaboration
Christophe - FRANCE

Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Hi Christophe,

Currently we are working a bit like you describe.
Difference is that we only link the "architect"-model to the "hvac"-model.
Had not thought about reverse linking the "hvac"-model tot the "architect"-model.

So, thanks for this reply.
We might just have a go at it.

Greetz...
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!