Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Visual List of Fonts? What do all the fonts look like?

Gus
Newcomer
Is there a list somewhere that shows what all the ArchiCad fonts actually look like?

I've never understood why so many programs give you a list of fonts, but don't show you what the font looks like. This makes the search for a font an incredibly laborious task of trying each font separately.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
None of them are "ArchiCAD fonts"... they're whatever fonts are installed on your system.

On Mac, it's easy to view all fonts using the standard app Font Book ... just arrow down the fonts and watch the sample text change.

On Windows XP, there is just Fonts in Control Panel, and you have to double click each font to view it. But there are lots of shareware font viewing programs.

On Windows 7, Control Panel > Fonts will display "Abg" in each font if you select Medium, Large or Extra Large Icons as the view mode. As with XP, double clicking any font opens it in Preview to see more text as it would appear in that font.

If you have Word installed (for example), the Font drop-down in the toolbar shows the font name in the font itself, so you can choose your font there, and then use that name in ArchiCAD.

Many people pick two or three fonts and stick with them for all of their ArchiCAD projects, so there is never much of an issue with selecting the fonts for them.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
This should be add to the wish list. I really wish archicad have their "preview" for the fonts. My boss didn't like the idea of using font book every time. He said Apple's pages or numbers, already have preview fonts. So why can't Archicad do the same? I can see his point. I had to create all the fonts listing as template because you guys don't design the preview fonts.

I think this one should be change to wish list for archicad. To be honest, it would be nice to have one. Just saying
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have moved this topic to the Wishes Forum and added a poll.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you LaszloNagy for move this into right place.
runxel
Legend
Let's be honest: the font handling is abysmal.
And why on earth do we get to select the encoding? It's not the 80s anymore. Unicode is a thing, folks.
Also no keyboard support? Surely this is the biggest blunder of all.

Just as a reference how a sane font selection actually looks like:
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»