BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wall Drawn by Core Center and Snap to Core Center

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I would like to be able to draw a wall by its core center, after all most walls are not symmetrical (for wood walls gyp-brd + plywood one-side and gyp-brd the other side) also once that is done, one can snap to center of the core to dimension, for stud layout at the site.
Thanks,
Joseph Harouni
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
If you want to draw by the core center, Joseph, the workaround now is of course to offset the reference line in the wall settings dialog ... but of course, you (unfortunately!) have to do the math.
Karl, what math? Math can be done one time and then assigned to Favorites. After all how many different non symmetrical walls do we have.
Thanks for making me think
Joseph
Karl Ottenstein
Joseph wrote:
Karl wrote:
If you want to draw by the core center, Joseph, the workaround now is of course to offset the reference line in the wall settings dialog ... but of course, you (unfortunately!) have to do the math.
Karl, what math? Math can be done one time and then assigned to Favorites. After all how many different non symmetrical walls do we have.
Joseph
Well, actually the math might happen quite a bit ... particularly for my wish for a 'make reference line match core skin' option, and having a Favorite would then introduce errors:

I view composites as the closest thing we have in AC to "styles" since they incorporate linestyles, pens, fills, etc.

If we use composites for walls of a certain type/style, then changing the composite changes all walls of that type. So, if I model an exterior wall with a multi-skin composite, with my reference line on the outside core, and then the decorative veneer thickness changes...if the reference line offset is (as now) fixed, with no relation to the composite structure, all of my exterior walls will move! Not a good thing. If the reference line is tied to the structure, the walls will stay put, and the outer decorative skin will expand or contract correctly.

Similarly, the offset 'memorized' in a Favorite would be the wrong one for an altered composite.

IMHO a smooth workflow is as much about facilitating change as it is about doing the initial work. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Joseph wrote:
Karl wrote:
Joseph
Well, actually the math might happen quite a bit ... particularly for my wish for a 'make reference line match core skin' option, and having a Favorite would then introduce errors:

I view composites as the closest thing we have in AC to "styles" since they incorporate linestyles, pens, fills, etc.

If we use composites for walls of a certain type/style, then changing the composite changes all walls of that type. So, if I model an exterior wall with a multi-skin composite, with my reference line on the outside core, and then the decorative veneer thickness changes...if the reference line offset is (as now) fixed, with no relation to the composite structure, all of my exterior walls will move! Not a good thing. If the reference line is tied to the structure, the walls will stay put, and the outer decorative skin will expand or contract correctly.

Similarly, the offset 'memorized' in a Favorite would be the wrong one for an altered composite.

IMHO a smooth workflow is as much about facilitating change as it is about doing the initial work. 😉

Karl
You did it again and finally got your thinking, it would be great in implemented, where is the wish list so I can vote.
Thanks,
Joseph
Learn and get certified!