Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wall Intersection with graphical editing

Victor Pop
Booster

Often times I found myself scratching my head as to how I should edit my walls in order for them to properly intersect. Most annoying is when a load bearing brick wall intersects a non load bearing framed wall at a 90 degree angle. What I'd like to happen is the plaster cover the side of the brick wall, as you would probably normally do in actual construction work.

What tends to happen is the following situation.Capture.PNG

One easy workaround would be to, indeed, cover the end with a wall end tool but you can't quantify that and it generally has many bugs and errors in other situations. It's just a nuisance. What would be great is when you select two or more walls which intersect to be able to manually edit in graphical form what intersects what. Sort of like a curtain wall edit button, but for wall intersections. 

Victor Cosmin Pop / Architect

www.atelierularhitext.com

AC25 INT • M1 MacBook Pro 8 GB RAM (for late nights couch working) • Windows 10 2080TI Ryzen 5950X 128 GB RAM (for burning money on electricity)
10 REPLIES 10
DGSketcher
Legend

You mean like Vectorworks seems to do it? And heaven forbid that two subsidiaries of Nemetsheck could share such a concept. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Have same issue with frame wall intersections at 90 degree angles. Also "T" sections intersects weird when you have load bearing and non load bearing wall intersections.

"L" 90 degree frame wall connection. Placed wall end, extra lines that cannot be hidden.

AlgimantasKuprenas_1-1665553404846.png

"T" frame wall intersection with wall end. Not sure but in my case end of wall looks poor with some extra lines that I cannot hide 😞

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1665553269971.png

For such intersections I think only one good way to solve is to make non-load bearing walls with different materials on covering surfaces and in different cases use different partition walls with different priorities so covering and core layers intersect right and playing with reference lines.

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

Usually it is all about the building materials you use, their strength in relation to each other and possibly how the reference lines join.

BarryKelly_0-1665555461046.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Of course, believe me I know that. But in my example, masonry should have lower priority than the plaster, otherwise it wouldn't work. And in other cases, when masonry walls intersect, the plaster would cut through masonry. Thus the solution is not building priority.

AC25 INT • M1 MacBook Pro 8 GB RAM (for late nights couch working) • Windows 10 2080TI Ryzen 5950X 128 GB RAM (for burning money on electricity)

You probably need separate building materials for internal and external plaster skin, the inside weaker than the masonry and the outside stronger than the masonry.

Barry.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

This might probably work but take a moment and try to picture a 20 storey building with >10 different types of walls having to manually check each and every single one of them how they intersect, then create just as many duplicates with different plasters according to the intersections in question. All this when the accurate and time efficient solution is out there - and even implemented by the same company. It's just mind boggling. 

Exactly my point. Trying to be 99% (note I didn't say 100%) accurate in Archicad is just a pain. There are these little things that just drive you mad. I've encountered your situation more times than I can count.

Heavens no, how would the two software (owned by the same company) compete with each other if they share the same great features.

Lingwisyer
Guru

Sooo many custom profile columns...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660