Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wall filliting & chamfering

Paul King
Advisor
We need a way to fillet & chamfer walls at corners such that outer radius of fillet can be less than width of wall

For "organic" looking construction (stone, adobe etc), where corners are not razor sharp, a small fillet to corners is desirable, but currently impossible unless user switches to polygonal walls

Polygonal walls have significant limitations (inability to heal, inability to wrap completely around a space etc) and are thus not a satisfactory workaround.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
3 REPLIES 3
Thomas Holm
Booster
Paul wrote:
We need a way to fillet & chamfer walls at corners such that outer radius of fillet can be less than width of wall

For "organic" looking construction (stone, adobe etc), where corners are not razor sharp, a small fillet to corners is desirable, but currently impossible unless user switches to polygonal walls
(Edited) Well, this could work better, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

You need to put the walls' reference line on the outside (distance from reference line to inside of wall must be greater than the fillet tool radius)

Then, to make the corner wall segment (which the fillet tool creates) visible in 3D, you reduce its wall thickness to slightly less than the tool radius + the distance from the outside of the wall to the reference line in the Info palette.

You will also need a 2D patch in the floor plan to make it look good.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Paul King
Advisor
Thomas wrote:
...Well, this could work better, but I wouldn't call it impossible.
Hi - Thanks Thomas, and quite right, it is not truly "impossible" - though as you guessed I meant impossible without messy workarounds such as this (I guess not many things are truly impossible in ArchiCAD, given the time & the will)

If patching in plan anyway, you could equally just use the polygon wall at corners, or insert a shaped column element at corner - but patching is an admission of defeat! - i.e. that the modelling tools are not good enough! Separate workaround processes add to the management burden we need to juggle as job gets bigger and they are not intuitive ... and we already have a fillet tool which *should* be able to do the job!

Thanks for your vote!

Cheers
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Djordje
Ace
Yes, the poly walls are the only cure now, and they do add to the polygon count and complicate the work immensely. I had a project in 2000 ... my goodness, it was a total and ultimate mess! ALL the corners HAD TO be rounded, and on top of it, so did the wall/ceiling joints ... wish I could forget it 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen