BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wall height linked to Story height

Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I think this would be a simple addition for walls (and maybe beams and columns)...

During schematic design of multi-story buildings, the height of the floors and roofs are constantly being adjusted for mechanical and structural choices. However, the exterior and shaft walls are a set height, so when I raise the second floor, I have to go back and raise the first floor walls manually to match it. Otherwise, I get a gap all around the building.

It seems obvious that I want the exterior walls to go all the way up to the next floor! Can't we just have an option to define the wall height by the Story settings height to the next story? This would really reduce the time-consuming minutiae during the conceptual phase!

Additionally, this could be extended to define the wall height to some set distance above or below the next story. However, this may add more complexity to the Wall Settings dialog than it's worth. The former option can be done with a simple check box.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
8 REPLIES 8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I agree.

Reminds me of the Variable Manager discussed 4 years ago.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
More important than the story height is the height between floor and ceiling. We make walls building heigh.
dcerezo
Advocate
Has this ability been added to Archicad?

If not, how do you all currently deal with this? Change each wall's height individually?
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
Rick Thompson
Expert
The only issue I would have if this was doable, is for material take offs. If you are dealing with studs, then you would have that defined in the property object and if they changed from an 8' to a 9' stud (as an example), you would still need to select all wall types and change the ID. But it still could be nice and helpful. Of course, a smart wall would know this on it's own.. another wish:) At least GS want run out of things to add to new versions.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
dcerezo
Advocate
The reason I ask is that Revit does this quite nicely. No I don't want to start a Revit Vs. ArchiCAD discussion. All I'm saying is that technically speaking, software-wise, this is achievable. If the weenies at Autodesk can do it, why not Graphisoft?

BTW, material take-offs!? If I gain 9 things out of 10 by adding this functionality, I'll figure out how to deal with the material take-off issue; that's small potatoes dude.
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Exactly, you got it. The method Revit uses is very nice. I just started the Revit tutorial (may need to reference a Revit model in an upcoming project), and it's one of the first things you learn. A wall is not an independent element, as ArchiCAD treats it, but a integral part of the building form, and it should adjust and stretch with the building as a whole. Currently, there is no relation between story settings and a wall, other than the base point.

BTW, I'm not advocating Revit; I really dislike the interface. It just has some features that should be looked into. Good artists borrow; great artists steal!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very good idea!
Than we could use SEO to subtract from a grouped Floor Slabs and it would be already good to go.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can find a possible solution @simpleaddon.com.
Learn and get certified!