BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Walls: show on stories (as columns)

GOBA
Booster
Hi,

It’s usual, in structural layouts to show columns and walls of story X, and slabs and beams of story X+1. In columns, we can choose a high number of configurations of "Floor Plan Display", in particular, “One story up” and “ “Home & One story up”. There is no such configuration for walls, so I don’t really know how to show them as I do with columns. I would really appreciate if it could be implemented the same options we have for columns, in walls. Why is it different?

The only thing I am thinking I could use is the Floor Plan Cut Plane Settings, and change and Offset to “show down to”, but I won’t be able to use overrides, and I am not sure if this will have consequences in other things.

Regards,

GOBA
ArchiCAD user since November 2109
AC24, Windows 10
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I vote Essential.
The number of options for Columns and Beam have been extended in AC23 as part of the improvements made to these tools.
It would be great to have the same number of options for Walls as well.

FYI: My speculation: During the years I had the impression that GS developers like to perform larger developments on individual Tools so if the change a Tool they like to dramatically enhance it, maybe this is why they have not implemented just this relatively small enhancement on the Wall Tool.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
GOBA
Booster
Hi Laszlo,

Ok, I understand, options for column and beam have been widely improved in AC23. I think "Floor Plan Display" configuration is very useful. I don’t know how structural engineers worked before AC23, maybe changing “Floor Plan Cut Plane Settings”, but I tried that, before being aware of "Floor Plan Display" configuration, and I wasn’t successful. I haven’t found a structural plan view option.

Thank you for the explanation, and for the support.

GOBA
AC24, Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I hope you are doing well in these trying times!

Thank you very much for sharing your wish! As a user, I can understand the frustration. Fixing this inconsistency is a wish that has been requested quite a lot from the users (please refer to it as Wish #8963). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one soon!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

GOBA
Booster
Hi mnguyen!

Thanks, I’m doing all right taken into account the situation! I hope you the same.

Thanks a lot, I hope to see it soon!

Regards,

GOBA
AC24, Windows 10
rm
Expert
LaszloNagy wrote:
FYI: My speculation: During the years I had the impression that GS developers like to perform larger developments on individual Tools so if the change a Tool they like to dramatically enhance it, maybe this is why they have not implemented just this relatively small enhancement on the Wall Tool.
In the example of needing to show a wall on multiple stories, this is very common with foundation walls, you have to model on both floors to get it to show up properly in 2D.....what a ridiculous option.

My speculation is the developers, at times, are completely disconnected from the process of architecture itself. THIS request should have been resolved a long time ago. Again, GS continues to add bloat to the program without resolving long standing important implementation.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Learn and get certified!