Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Way to find wall attributes for length and angle

dwyckoff
Contributor
What is needed is a way to query a wall and have it show the angle and length information without having to place a dimension. How many times I have found a wall that is just slightly off axis or not exactly on a 45 degree and you don't know it until you try to intersect another wall and they don't clean up.
Is there no way to have the data supplied with the other attributes?
DWyckoff
Master of Time and Space
Whenever the wife lets me

A/C23, OSX10.13.6
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Interesting question.

The Measure Tool will quickly give you both the link and the angle - click on each end of the wall to read the result.

The Element Info palette is handy for quickly reading the length of walls - just leave it on-screen and click on a wall or walls(s) - click the buttons to show just the data you want (length in your case). The interesting thing is that EI does NOT display the angle, even though this would be trivial for a single wall segment (only two hotspots). So, it is of no help in finding badly modeled walls, which is your original question.

Similarly, an element schedule can list all walls with their lengths. But, it would indeed be handy if one could generate a schedule of all walls and - in the case of single-segment walls - their angle. Then one could quickly find user modeling errors such as you have encountered.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
We actually have a label library part that highlights any wall that is not at 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. We apply it temporarily to all walls when we conduct our regular model audits. (These are 362 point QA checks we do on all projects at given milestones).

The label simply gives an easily recognizable message to any angled wall. It's very simple and quick to find such walls. Not so quick to fix them though, which is where better training comes in! Thankfully it's becoming less of a problem!

I can see if I can get permission to share the part, although any GDL expert could probably whip one up in a few minutes!

Cheers,
Link.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you're interested, I have uploaded the 'Wall Orientation Check' label object to the Depository under the General category.

It is really quite basic but very effective, when you apply it to all walls in your project at once.

Cheers,
Link.
dwyckoff
Contributor
It is handy that you have created a work around. Still seems like a great deal of work for such a simple issue. If there are parameters in the wall, then all you would have to do is a search based on finding walls that are non-orthogonal. That is why I placed my issue here, on the wish-list. Does anyone else have these problems? Obviously, GS does not see it as a problem. Or at least a high priority. They think the measure tool solves the problem. Finding the errant wall is the problem.
DWyckoff
Master of Time and Space
Whenever the wife lets me

A/C23, OSX10.13.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the download. I have opened it yet I am unsure how to make it work. When i press the check script I get the message
"Use of real types can result in precision problems at line 2 in the 2D script of the file Wall Orientation Check.gsm

I am really unsure what I am doing here and would appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 12.34.57 PM.png
rocorona
Booster
First of all, WHY did you open it? You are only supposed to USE it.

As for the error message, recent versions of the GDL Interpreter give a warning when there is a comparison between a "real" number and an "integer" one. This, in very rare situations can give an erroneous result if the difference is beyond the 6th decimal place or something alike.
There are recommended solutions, for this, but for the purpose of this object I think it is ok as it is.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Thank you rocorona for your reply. I am still unsure how to use a .gsm file with archicad. Are you supposed to use it as an object? In which case I seem to be only able to open GDL files.

Once again any help in using this tool would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Barry Kelly
I believe it is a 'label' object.
All you will need to do is to make sure it is in a loaded library or embedded in the file.
Then simple label the wall using this label object.

You will need to assign this label to the 'wall tool' in the label settings dialogue.
Then select your wall and tick the 'Label' checkbox.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
rocorona wrote:
First of all, WHY did you open it? You are only supposed to USE it.

As for the error message, recent versions of the GDL Interpreter give a warning when there is a comparison between a "real" number and an "integer" one. This, in very rare situations can give an erroneous result if the difference is beyond the 6th decimal place or something alike.
There are recommended solutions, for this, but for the purpose of this object I think it is ok as it is.
Hello Roberto

which are these solutions?