Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

We want: LAYER PALETTE that shows the SELECTED things LAYER

aryastark
Enthusiast
to op Discussion click here: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70172#p313012 n ö

I never understood why archicad doesn't have this feature. Very surprising. Even relatively simple programs such as photoshop have the layer display feature of the selected element, while the absence of this in a complex program like archicad is a big handicap.

In a nutshell: through hundreds of layers, for the purposes of -changing layer name; changing it's priority level; duplicate it as a sequel to a close name for a reason; delete it etc.- layer palette should show [must make highlighted] automatically the selected elements layer when it opens.
 just like in the "building materials" palette.
Building material pallet shows inside(makes highlited) when i choose something before opening the palette. )
thanks for reading.
valar morghulis.
Ver: AC23
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Chip type: GeForce GTX 960M
16 REPLIES 16
AlexM
Booster
Even having the layers searchable/filterable by name would help.

In a decent sized project you need loads of layers to properly control the various plan views and/or options. It would make life so much easier to have the current layer auto selected in the layer palette. It makes me wonder sometimes if anyone at Graphisoft has used the programme on a real project!
24 / 25 Win10 & Win11 & OSX
runxel
Legend
Let's please just abandon layers alltogether....
There are already properties, let us just filter by that, GS!

Too bad you're too shy to actually risk something which would leverage the whole CAD/BIM system.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
In case you and others haven't notice, you can vote for this here.

Cheers,
runxel
Legend
Braza wrote:

Already voted "essential" there!
Cheers Braza
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted or share your opinions!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-1398). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

jl_lt
Ace
Braza wrote:
runxel wrote:

Cheers,
Hi Mr. Braza, im very very used to layers, which is something i carried from the autocad days and made my transition to Archicad easier. Ive been reading this intention of eliminating layers for some time now. I would like to ask, generally speaking, what would be the advantages of using properties or clasifications over layers? I can intuitively see that they could be better, but cannot see how.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi jl_lt,

IMO I can only see advantages. Like:
1. Coooonnnnnssssiiiisssssttttteeeeennnnnncccccccyyyyyyyyyy... Ahummmmmmmm! As it would concentrate Layers, Layer Combo, Renovation Filter, Partial Structure Display. These all could be converted to properties (which in reality is what they are);
2. It eliminates the need for innumerous layers to accommodate a proper project documentation workflow;
3. Gives the user the total power to control visibility of all the elements of a virtual building. As today we can create any Classification and Property, but we can't apply them to 2d elements. i.e.: You can hide any specific element that could also share the same layer and/or Renovation Filter and/or Structural role with others;
4. Allow us to easy create phasing, construction simulation and versioning schemes for any project;
5. If also applied to Complex Profiles would allow for total easy control of complex structures and elements;
6. The process of applying Classifications is much more straight forward than applying Layers. With Classifications you can apply innumerous Properties to a single element with just one click.

These are the main ones that come to my mind.

Now please hit me with plenty.
runxel
Legend
And let's not forget that you can put multipe classifications on an element, but can only assign one layer!
This often means that you have the same thing multiple times, just on different layers, because they are such a rigid and outdated concept (which comes from physical layers; tracing paper stacked upon each other), and there is just no other way around, because layers are the main thing that governs visibility (together with reno, but if you are in a reno project, it renders this approch unusable; and let's better not talk about psd).