BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

What do we want in ArchiCAD 10?

Anonymous
Not applicable
In summary of several other threads:
NO NEW FEATURES
Standard settings for all ArchiCAD tools
Universal editing & keyboard commands

(I'm sure there are some more, but this seems enough for now.)

There seems to be a consensus developing about what people would like to see in ArchiCAD 9.

1. Fix the incomplete and poorly implemented tools that already exist (i.e. Label tool, Section & Detail markers, etc.)

2. Improve the consistency, clarity, and order of the tool functions and interface elements.

3. Add one or two major new features in order to qualify as a major upgrade.

ArchiCAD 8.0 brought with it an embarrassment of riches in the wealth of new features along with the embarrassment of failures in so many things not working properly. It seems that version 9 would do well to simply consolidate the major advances introduced in 8, fix some (or most?) of the long standing complaints, and add the one (or two) major features needed for the ad copy. I suspect that most of the members of this forum would buy the upgrade if it only accomplished the first two (but of course we are only the smartest 1% of the users world wide ).

NOTE: A vote in this topic is for the order of priority (1., 2. & 3. above) for fixes, improvements, and new features; not for specific items which are mentioned here (or elsewhere).
130 REPLIES 130
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could there be a check box added to the tool settings to toggle the auto increase for the ID properties? It seems it would be easier to get the W & D to be the same to get a proper listing and allow you to uncheck for other items if desired. Listing W & D are about the only things we use the calculate menu for. Would it hurt if the auto increase was always off?
TomWaltz
Participant
I thought I read somewhere (maybe on the forum, but I couldn't find it), that Graphisoft always has two teams of developers working: one to support the version just released, and one to create the next version coming out.

If that's the case, Archicad 9 is likely well under way, and anything we recommend now would probably be in Archicad 10.... or maybe 9.1??

Does anyone else remember this? (I could just be losing my mind).
Tom Waltz
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Tom,

I am not sure about GS programming strategies but your information is probably coming from AC8.0 release announcement when they said that they have started to work on AC7 and AC8 at the same time so they had to split programmer teams. Eventually AC7 got released so they joined up again for AC8...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a roadmap to AC 9.0?

When we will most likely see AC 9?
I don't know anything for sure, but I would guess it is not too long. Maybe by Fall sometime?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's time for a change of integer. I suspect that AC9 is probably pretty settled at this point, so it is time to start having some fun with the more distant future.

This will be made more difficult, of course, by the fact that we don't know what 9 will bring, but I, for one, am getting tired of the discussion mainly of fixing things, so...

My number one choice for AC10 (should that be ACX for Mac users?) is....

THE UNIFIED FILE FORMAT!

See: Unified Project File Type; including PLN, PLA & PLP for details.

I'm not really sure what a vote in this topic means yet. I rushed ahead and voted "Essential" in my enthusiasm for this file format thing, but we should really try to come up with a good theme like the one we had in the earlier (AC9) version of this topic. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Some more ideas for version 10:

Totally awesome document production: Importing EVERYTHING into PlotMaker: PDF, text (.doc), tabbed data (.xls), etc. Seriously good text formatting in AC & PM (even if it means opening a separate text edit window). Completely automated drawing names, numbers and cross referencing.

Eye-popping rendering engine and special effects: Raytracing, radiosity, image filters, etc. Whether this is internal or accomplished by plug-ins/add-ons for seamless interactivity with Arlantis, Cinema 4D, Piranesi, Photoshop, Painter, etc.

Serious database improvements with external hook-ups: Besides major improvements to the included schedule and calculate functions this would add real links to external database programs. This should include a real, complete and polished example solution built in a good cross-platform database such as FileMaker or 4D (perhaps GS could hire Karl to help them on this).

Of course the really big things I've suggested like the New Working Environment and Virtual Building "Black Box" will have to wait for ArchiCAD 11. (If only because I like the number 11 since I'll turn 55 on 11.11.22 )
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is just my two cents worth, (forgive me if I repeat anything).

Fixes to:
Interior elevations (lets make it usefull)
Selection of elements (lets make it easier)
Output of 3D to Plotmaker (lets make it work, both OpenGL and internal engine, a choice of formats would be good).
A better GDL editing tool, something with a step through editor and some auto command tools.

Additional:
Textured sections/elevations (i.e. elevations that are still linked to the model but have all the textures etc applied as per openGL or rendering).
Camera placing from 3D window (imagine walking through your model in perspective view and being able to click a button called "Place camera here")

A "Trim to element" function. (Like "trim to roof" but you can use any element to cut any other object, both horizontally and vertically.)

Multi-Monitor support. (At the moment you cant have your 3D window on one monitor and Floor plan on another (and yes, I know there are work arounds)).

Finanally.... Anything for which you currently use a workaround... Lets fix those...

That is my little wish list...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great list!

Just one minor point:
Nefarious wrote:
Multi-Monitor support. (At the moment you cant have your 3D window on one monitor and Floor plan on another (and yes, I know there are work arounds)).
This applies to PCs only. ArchiCAD on Macs easily uses as many monitors as you can plug in. Always has.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Camera placing from 3D window (imagine walking through your model in perspective view and being able to click a button called "Place camera here")
In the upper right hand corner of the 3D Navigation palette is a small arrow for a pop up list that gives you this option.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nefarious wrote:

You can do that already in v8 ! The thing to remember is to first stretch the overall archicad program window over your two monitors, and then you can arrange from within your 2D and 3D windows at will.

One wish down, x,xxx to go !

Naftali
Anonymous
Not applicable
One font related feature that I would like and could use extensively, would be proportional widths in text. I regularly receive files from a surveyor that uses this in Auto Cad. When I get the files, the text runs off the page because he has squeezed the text so it will fit and still be the required 1/10th of an inch high. and he also spreads street names out. So, proportional width and proportional spacing in ArchiCad as well as Plotmaker would be most useful.
Learn and get certified!