BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

What do we want in ArchiCAD 10?

Anonymous
Not applicable
In summary of several other threads:
NO NEW FEATURES
Standard settings for all ArchiCAD tools
Universal editing & keyboard commands

(I'm sure there are some more, but this seems enough for now.)

There seems to be a consensus developing about what people would like to see in ArchiCAD 9.

1. Fix the incomplete and poorly implemented tools that already exist (i.e. Label tool, Section & Detail markers, etc.)

2. Improve the consistency, clarity, and order of the tool functions and interface elements.

3. Add one or two major new features in order to qualify as a major upgrade.

ArchiCAD 8.0 brought with it an embarrassment of riches in the wealth of new features along with the embarrassment of failures in so many things not working properly. It seems that version 9 would do well to simply consolidate the major advances introduced in 8, fix some (or most?) of the long standing complaints, and add the one (or two) major features needed for the ad copy. I suspect that most of the members of this forum would buy the upgrade if it only accomplished the first two (but of course we are only the smartest 1% of the users world wide ).

NOTE: A vote in this topic is for the order of priority (1., 2. & 3. above) for fixes, improvements, and new features; not for specific items which are mentioned here (or elsewhere).
130 REPLIES 130
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
It seems that version 9 would do well to simply consolidate the major advances introduced in 8, fix some (or most?) of the long standing complaints, and add the one (or two) major features needed for the ad copy.
I totally agree Matthew but I think to add to you point, ArchiCAD has outgrown its existing interface. It needs a complete rethink, consolidating as you say and simplifying. Also the focus of the program seems to be drifting further away from its roots (ie designed by architects for architects). Graphisoft need to consentrate more on the 'bread and butter' aspects of the program. Its all very well being able to model this and that but at the end of the day we all have to get drawings out to a certain protocol and we need to do it as quickly as possible.
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
... fix some (or most?) of the long standing complaints, ...
ALL: fix ALL of the long-standing complaints.

thanks matthew.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Matthew wrote:
... fix some (or most?) of the long standing complaints, ...
ALL: fix ALL of the long-standing complaints.

thanks matthew.

~/archiben
That would be lovely. I guess I've just been working around them for so long that fixing them all might be too much to hope for.

Of course this starts a whole new topic. What are ALL of the long standing complaints? My top of the list is the Label tool limitations and poor function. Should we start a new topic or just pack it all into this one?

I bet my old friend James Murray could give us a good start on the list. How about it James?
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I continue to grow weary of TEXT HANDLING in plotmaker... PLEASE FIX THIS...

1. Give us a Text Editor (preferebly in ArchicAD) and preferably with a SPREADSHEET look / function (so I can perform some calcs right there).

2. Give up on OLE... It just sucks...

3. PDF import would be nice, but not for notation.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Since you asked....

1. Detail Tool to cut CROSS SECTIONS (in a section, for example)

2. More Freedom in the Interactive Schedule..
a. Allow more free form format so I can create PROJECT DATA for intstance, with calculations of numbers right there in the schedule (not a parameter of an object)... Bldg area as percentage of Site, etc.

3. Title Types in Plotmaker to have CUSTOM NAME like they already have CUSTOM NUMBER (drawing name that is).

4. Sheet Index in Plotmaker

5. The ability to count labels in INTERACTIVE SCHED.

6. The ability to produce OUTLINES on elevations...

more later....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Djordje
Ace
Ah ... Matthew ...

In addition to the previously mentioned, the essential news shoudl be:

1. A proper stair creation API
2. A proper photorealistic rendering engine (radiosity + ray tracing)
3. A proper non-realistic rendering engine
4. In Sections and elevations, the REAL cuts/views of the model, ARCS ARE ARCS and SPLINES ARE SPLINES, not bunches of small line segments

What a thread ... 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I was kinda bored on my Sunday, so I decided to dedicate a web page to the wishes for ArchiCAD. you'd think I'd have something better to do with my time

http://homepage.mac.com/jbadcock/archicad_ideas.html

I've only done a little bit of work on it, but I would like to get some feedback on it.

If you do have feedback (things you'd like added to the list etc), please email at: jbadcock@mac.com

i want to also work up some images on it as well, to try to visual some of the text to better descrive what we're (I'm) after.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Some items that are listed in order of importance to me:

1. A fully functional text editor with tabs and the ability to import multiple pages from word or other word processor.
2. PDF import to plotmaker (first) and Archicad (second)
3. Dockable toolbars and an interactive customizable toolbar. (Drag the tools to the order you want without having to use a separate dialogue box.)
4. Updated calculate menu with fully customizable schedules (excel like spreadsheets)
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
If you do have feedback (things you'd like added to the list etc), please email at: jbadcock@mac.com
James,

I hope you don't mind that that I post my response here.

I see you haven't put anything into your matrix for the detail and section tools.

One of my BIG desires for function and consistency is that reference markers for both details and sections be placeable in any 2D view (plan, section and detail). This seems easily do-able in AC9.

I would like to be able to place section references where they transect other sections and to add plan details into enlarged plans created with the detail tool.

The complexities of placing live (source view) detail and section markers in ways other than they are now deserve a great deal of careful thought. This should wait for a later upgrade after there is enough time to decide how (and whether) this should be done.

Going a bit outside the above items: Another feature I would like is a request function (or global parameter) for the current window's name and index number. I prefer to title my drawings in ArchiCAD and this would allow the titling to be automatic. It would also be nice to associate a parameter with a view name allowing automatic titling this way as well.

Nice work on the matrix. It begins to show just how complex a task GS has in developing and coordinating all the features and functions of the program with all the various needs of us users, and helps to make the case for consistency and simplicity (as much as possible) in the way the ArchiCAD & PlotMaker work.
Learn and get certified!