Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Why can't Plotmaker interface the same as ArchiCAD?

Pete
Newcomer
Boy, this is an OLD wish. Every time we get a new upgrade, I expect to finally be able to use PM the same way I use AC. Now the problem is even worse (since 8.0) because of the differences in editing commands, ie. drag a copy, etc.. And now with AC8.1 it is hard enough to break the habit of using the right arrow key. Then I go into PM3.1 and have to work the "old" way.

GS, PLEASE be consistent with the user interface.
Thanks,
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I strongly agree. PlotMaker has always lagged behind ArchiCAD in the implementation of new features. As I recall, when AC6.0 added the ability to customize the keyboard shortcuts PlotMaker was still stuck with the old fixed ones. This made it very hard for existing users to switch and for new users confronted with two different default set ups. (I am sure this slowed the adoption of the new feature. I still run into people using the version 5.1 shortcuts.) And there is still only a single undo/redo in PM.

I realize that it may be difficult for Graphisoft to get feature parity in PlotMaker when they are pushing to get the new versions out, but putting it off is like leaving the dishwashing for later; you end up always living with dirty dishes.

I would think that with object code it would be possible to use (or easily adapt) the same functions to both programs (but I am only a casual programmer and know little of the complexities of maintaining commercial products).

I do think that Graphisoft should seriously consider setting a standard that each new release will maintain consistency between the two programs, including new features.

Inconsistencies in PM that bug me are:

- Single Undo/Redo
- Find & Select; Option/Alt does not pick up settings
- Publisher is still in the File menu (I know this is more complex since the Navigator pallette is different in PM)
- No extended version the coordinates palette

This is all I can think of right now, and seems to be a sign that things are getting better. (I do feel a bit of a whiner in considering the HUGE improvements in PlotMaker with version 3.)

But while we are on the subject, does anyone else have items to add to this list?
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:

- Single Undo/Redo
- Find & Select; Option/Alt does not pick up settings
It does when you switch it on; for soem reason, it is off by default???
Matthew wrote:

- Publisher is still in the File menu (I know this is more complex since the Navigator pallette is different in PM)
- No extended version the coordinates palette

But while we are on the subject, does anyone else have items to add to this list?

Yes.

Drafting:

- Full Control Box (not only Parellel and Perpendicular drawing modifier, but the full set)
- Smart Cursor that reads also intersections and tangents, not only endpoints and perpendicular
- line, arc, spline, polyline, fill tools EXACTLY the same as in ArchiCAD (pet pallettes etc ...)
- multiline text
- autotext placeholder
- no limit to text sizes/character count

Presentation:

- gradient fills
- transparency/masking

Features:

- Backup/Autosave
- version tracking
- TeamWork

File handling:

- Save PMK/placed drawing as PLN, MOD or 2DL
- PDF placement
- Opening a placed drawing (direct link) opens THAT PLN in THAT view

Workflow:

- If ArchiCAD is open, and the views from the open file are imported, THAT ArchiCAD session is used for the processing
- OpenGL views are processed regardless of the foreground or background ArchiCAD usage
- 3D vectorial views are read straight from the 3D window, not the bitmapped views
- PgUp/Down for the previous/next sheet of LBK, otherwise CRTL 5/6 (storey up/down)
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Aussie John
Newcomer
TEXT WRAP!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
How about a resize command?
__archiben
Booster
Aussie wrote:
TEXT WRAP!!!!!!!!!!
SECONDED - WITH BELLS ON!!!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Text wrap in titles to.
They are useless if i cannot control how much place the take.
GDL. Drawing Symbol subtype only would be fine. GDL is the way AC is customized. Perhaps GDL will be more widely adopted when GS fully adopts it themselves.

Info Box. It wouldn't have to be customizable, just basic for visually checking tool setup without going to settings.

Revision control: Some method for knowing when a view actually changed, not just when its project was saved. The ability to track and date such changes.

Closely related: A 'There are Problems with Placed Drawings' warning box that isn't a worthless distraction. As it is, when the project is saved, all the views are 'Modified' whether anything has changed or not. When you go to print/plot, you get the warning. It's up to the user to know whether the changes bear on the current situation. It's worse than no warning, because it's a false positive, and you get in the habit of ignoring it completely. At least, PM should wait to see what sheets I select before concluding there's a problem.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Dave Jochum
Advocate
James wrote:
A 'There are Problems with Placed Drawings' warning box that isn't a worthless distraction. As it is, when the project is saved, all the views are 'Modified' whether anything has changed or not. When you go to print/plot, you get the warning. It's up to the user to know whether the changes bear on the current situation. It's worse than no warning, because it's a false positive, and you get in the habit of ignoring it completely. At least, PM should wait to see what sheets I select before concluding there's a problem.
Dittos to what James just said.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Once you've got these ArchiCad drawings features in PlotMaker, hasn't Graphisoft got a pretty impressive 2-D CAD program to supplement ArchiCad. Couldn't this be sold as ArchiCad LT?

This could certainly rival any 2-D CAD package on the Mac as you've the obvious advantage of drawing at 1:1 and be a useful 2-D detailing CAD application in itself?

Or could Graphisoft's be concenerned that this would eat into their ArchiCad sales?