Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Window and Door Lintel in Sections

snow
Mentor
Hello all together,

I almost presume that this topic was mentioned here already (If not, I wonder why) I could find this, that touches it. But my point is not to get a structure element there in but it is about the basic (true) display.

… so I post this.

section

When do we geht a version that displays wall closure also for the lintel?
ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10
16 REPLIES 16
Podolsky
Ace
There were rumours, that Graphisoft plans to update windows and door tool (rumours came from Schüco). Maybe this problem is going to be fixed there?
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
I recently modelled a building which has on it's top level wood cladding.
These windows should have a header finish identical to those of the sides.
It shows in 3D but not in 2D.

For smaller windows we might even want the sill removed and replaced by a similar finish (see left window).

In modern building design this is surely not uncommon.

So why isn't this available in Archicad?
Long overdue!

Johan
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
runxel
Legend
Some windows have the option to show this in 3D. It is not "on" by default, tho.

I found that shells work wonder!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just for the record...
I remember a recent topic that talked about this old well known issue... It was suggested that GS should make Windows/Doors and Openings complementary to each other. A Window/Door would automatically create an Opening... and leaving Lintels, sills and jambs definitions to Openings (with individual CP's for each edge). More in line with Renovation workflows.
snow
Mentor
runxel wrote:
Some windows have the option to show this in 3D...
Do you mean the option here?

ARCHICAD for Future

Lingwisyer
Guru
This "Show in 3D" option is kind of a lie as it doesn't turn anything, it just increased extrudes your walls to cover the area the turning would be, so things are still wrong in Sections.

Ling.

ps. Anyone know how, in GDL, to get fills in an object to merge with those in a wall when they overlap? I can only seem to get them to merge when the butt with each other...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
snow
Mentor
So I thank you all for your contributions to this topic.

The more I think about the "Window and Door Topic", the more needs for improvements I see.
…it looks for me, that there should be almost a section here for improvement suggestions just only for windows and doors in this forum.

It seems that the search option gets overstrained with this:

setted:

So there should be a way to get an overview of all the issues about doors and windows…
I think every suggestion should be separate, just that it can be voted and mixing not different things can be avoided.

So I think I will raise a topic and call it just 'Window and Door Improvement Suggestions', as a collection of links to all the specific topics... and look what's happening
ARCHICAD for Future

Lingwisyer
Guru
Yeah, it is pretty stupid that there are a lot of words which are "too common" yet are key words... You have to resort to using Google or such to search the forum instead of the forums inbuilt search function for a lot of things...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Johan Stinckens
Advocate
runxel wrote:
Some windows have the option to show this in 3D. It is not "on" by default, tho.

I found that shells work wonder!
Sorry, I noticed that I made a typo in my post!

It should read "It shows in 3D , but not in 2D"
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.