Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window and Door Tool

4hotshoes
Advocate
The ability to combine different windows type (fixed, awning, casement, or even a door) in any configuration we can think of. And the ability to change a type with type. This would be identified as a single unit.

Also more grid/mullion options, such as a grid at the top of a window not the full sash.

Arched/round topped window can be created for any window /door or grouping of windows and doors.
Todd Oeftger
Ligature Studio

AC23 and AC24 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
23 REPLIES 23

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
4hotshoes wrote:
The ability to combine different windows type (fixed, awning, casement, or even a door) in any configuration we can think of. And the ability to change a type with type. This would be identified as a single unit.

As in an ability to group ganged windows to show up as a single unit in schedules?
4hotshoes wrote:
Also more grid/mullion options, such as a grid at the top of a window not the full sash.

I think this is more a library inconsistency between regions given the method Barry pointed out in your other post is available for many of the standard windows in the AUS library (and INT library I think).

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200

4hotshoes
Advocate
As in an ability to group ganged windows to show up as a single unit in schedules?
Ling.

Yes. But without the need to have ganged windows pre-assembled as in the US library. I often need a combination of windows that are not available.

From my experience in Chief Architect, there was only one window object that could be changed to be whatever type I wanted (casement, dbl hung, awning). This had the advantage to change a window that is already in a wall by selecting and choosing a different type. So, if I had a single fixed window in place, I could select it and change it to a double hung without effecting any other parameters like size or trim. Or I could change the single unit to be a double or triple unit with transoms. I would live to see this ability in Archicad.
Todd Oeftger
Ligature Studio

AC23 and AC24 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
4hotshoes wrote:
So, if I had a single fixed window in place, I could select it and change it to a double hung without effecting any other parameters like size or trim. Or I could change the single unit to be a double or triple unit with transoms

In the window / door settings, if you press ctrl + alt (inject) when you select a different window / door, it should copy your existing settings that are common across.

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000

Eli Chiasson
Newcomer
I agree with this wish, the USA library lacks a a flexible Window and Door object.

In our office we have resorted to customizing a handful of the INT library windows and doors to suit our needs, but it isn't without quirks. An object native to the USA library would be best.
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
http://www.dexel.ca
AC19-23 USA+MEP • i7-7700 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Professional

Ghaleb Khadra
Newcomer
Hi All,

Thank you for your contribution and participation on the forums.

As the type of this wish puts it under the category of request/project proposal, we have added this into the queue of proposals.
For future reference, please refer to this as GISS-413.

Thank you once more, and I wish you all a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

Braza
Newcomer
Thanks Ghaleb.

A good starting point would be what was announced two years ago by Central Innovation (former Cadimage) as "AUS WinDoorBuilder for ARCHICAD".

Don't know what happened since then.

Paulo Henrique Santos, Architect
AC24_INT#3008 / I7 / 16Gb / 512Mb SSD / Windows 10

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
Braza wrote:
"AUS WinDoorBuilder for ARCHICAD"

I tried using that for a while back in 2018 but had issues with it's licensing between multiple dongles which was never resolved... Think there were some other irritations regarding it, but that may have all been solved since, if it actually has been updated rather than just migrated.

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000

Braza
Newcomer
Thanks for the info Ling.
Lingwisyer wrote:
if it actually has been updated rather than just migrated.
Do you mean it is being used in AC23?

Lingwisyer
Virtuoso
Braza wrote:
Thanks for the info Ling.
Lingwisyer wrote:
if it actually has been updated rather than just migrated.
Do you mean it is being used in AC23?

We can download it from the myci website (AU reseller). They also provide some other libraries, which often contain old objects that have just been migrated to the newer AC version so this tool could be the same... Am not using it.

Ling.
AC18-23 AUS 7000

Braza
Newcomer
Ok. I see.
Anyway... It would be nice to have some feedback from actual users of this tool.
Cheers,
Paulo

Jesse Davidson
Beginner
I used to use the CI tools all the time. Cancelled my subscription to their tools last fall mostly because I was fed up with all the subscription fees that have been piling up and tried to just tough it out only use what ArchiCAD gives us.

Now, I'm about to renew my subscription because I'm so fed up with ArchiCADs limits with the windows and doors. Honestly, how has ArchiCAD neglected these tools for so long?? It seems like all most every project I have to figure out a way to mimic what I want, where as in CI's tools you just use it and create what you want.

If we could at least Gang our windows & doors together to show up as 1 unit on schedules it would probably be good enough
ArchiCAD 24 Full
15" Macbook Pro (2018), OSX 10.15.7
2.6 GHz Intel Core I7, 32GB DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB[/size]

Karl Ottenstein
I have not seen anyone here mention Graphisoft's free "Library Part Maker" here. Available for 23 and back to 20 or 19 or so I think. This is a free (had to say it twice) tool to ArchiPLUS subscribers, and I believe is available worldwide, but it seems to have gotten very little discussion here on the forums overall in spite of its power.

Windows/Doors (and other objects) built with this tool have level of detail (LOD) display responsiveness and automatically include a number of system parameters/features. Custom opening lines are saved as part of the object in order to obtain whatever operation you want. Additional features - quoting from the User Guide include:
Door and Window Standard Fixtures and Fittings
The following standard ARCHICAD library door or window parametric elements and
functionality will be added to each door or window automatically:
Windows
– Wall Opening – Reveal
– Wall Opening – Wall Closure
– Wall Opening – Wall Inset
– Wall Opening – Masonry Arch
– Wall Opening – Attributes
– Fixtures & Fittings – Sill
– Fixtures & Fittings – Board
– Fixtures & Fittings – Casing Inside/outside
– Fixtures & Fittings – Sunshade
– Fixtures & Fittings – Custom Corner
– Fixtures & Fittings – Attributes
Door
– Wall Opening – Reveal
– Wall Opening – Wall Closure
– Wall Opening – Masonry Arch
– Fixtures & Fittings – Threshold
– Fixtures & Fittings – Casing Inside/outside
– Fixtures & Fittings – Sunshade
– Fixtures & Fittings – Attributes
System predefined parameters for Doors and Windows
– Width – width of Door/Window set
– Height – height of Door/Window set
– Nominal Frame Thickness – frame thickness of Door/Window set
– Orientation Displaying – If set to ‘Automatic’, Label Default Position and Label Reversed
Position values will be used for Door/Window labels and in Interactive Schedules. If set
to ‘Custom’, the value of Custom Orientation parameter will be used instead.
– Custom Orientation – used in conjunction with Orientation Displaying parameter
– Label Default Position – (set to ‘L’ for ‘Left’ by default) used in conjunction with
Orientation Displaying parameter
– Label Reversed Position – (set to ‘R’ for ‘Right’ by default) used in conjunction with
Orientation Displaying parameter
– IFC Operation – IFC operation definition
– Surfaces > Door/Window Tolerance Outer Surface – outer surface of tolerance infill
– Surfaces > Door/Window Tolerance Inner Surface – inner surface of tolerance infill
– Surfaces > Door/Window Handle Surface – surface of Door/Window handle(s)
– Pens > Opening Line Pen – pen of Door/Window opening lines
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

Brett Brown
Contributor
I thought your guys might be interested in an excerpt from a frank conversation I had with a senior Graphisoft Product Manager about most things in Archicad, surprised and enlightened on his replies to all my questions about the future, this was his answer on the Doors and Windows.

I asked, Why on earth you haven't integrated Cadimages Door and Window builder is beyond me as every time some asks about Archicad's door and windows on Arch-Talk, someone always pipes up and says, Cadimage tool can do that easily.

His answer, Door / Window/ Skylight are subject to a complete renewal based on assembly-like (e.g Stair, Curtain Wall, and from AC23 Beam and Column tools). The first step was introducing the Void tool which will be developed further and integrated into Openings. A massive project already under its way.

So from this, it is underway, it is not in AC 24, so who knows when it will be introduced. These sorts of answers would do a lot for the faith of users for the future and for some strange reason they aren't made public. Right or Wrong? or protecting 3rd party addon makers. Of course, it's not only Cadimage that make these types of Addons as most Australian users know. Not talking CI here.
As a user of Cadimage Door and Window builder from the start, admittedly it was free to us NZ users, I probably wouldn't be using Archicad if it wasn't for there tools, Coverings, Cabinet Maker, Keynote tool. All these tools save hours and hours of time per project and to see people saying they are too expensive, obviously they don't value their time very much, let alone their ease of use.
Imac, Mojave, AC 20, AC 25 Solo UKI, Vectorworks Architect 2021, Revit LT 2021

Jp1138
Expert
Very interesting indeed. I assume current window/door types could be some kind of predefined configurations you can later modify as you can with curtain walls, for example... It must be difficult to maintain all we have now inserted in the assembly-like interface
ARCHICAD 24 SPA
Windows 10

Brad Elliott
Participant
Karl,
Have you used this? Has anyone? Does it work? Is there any information on how to actually use it?
I have not seen anyone here mention Graphisoft's free "Library Part Maker" here. Available for 23 and back to 21 or so I think. This is a free (had to say it twice) tool to ArchiPLUS subscribers, and I believe is available worldwide, but it seems to have gotten very little discussion here on the forums overall in spite of its power.
Mac OS10.13.6 AC23 USA Full

Hackintosh 4 GHz i7 32gb ram NVidia1060

Karl Ottenstein
Brad wrote:
Karl,
Have you used this? Has anyone? Does it work? Is there any information on how to actually use it?
I used it in beta and was really impressed then. So much more powerful than simply 'save as' library part.

The download includes a detailed user guide and a template for doing the library part creation.

But, yours is/was my question: I'm not sure why nobody has discussed this here, as it has been an ArchiPLUS feature for some years now and I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar.
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

Karl,

I think it's not on people's radar because superficially, it looks a whole lot more complicated than a quick "Save As" and the benefits aren't obvious without studying it in more depth. GS has done virtually no advertising of this, and I believe hasn't even done a quick video of it in action. However, based on your enthusiasm, I've had another look at it and it indeed looks interesting. So, why so little air-time from GS?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC24 (since AC6.0), Win10

Braza
Newcomer
If I well remember, LPM started as a Graphisoft UK initiative specifically to address UK users requests.
Indeed it is a huge evolution to the "Save as" command.
But I have seen many users here (including me) finding the tool with too much complexity for low parametricity.
Besides this, and by what Brett Brown said, I think GS must be working on a huge Door/Window revamp for a long time. And that is why LPM is being kept under the radar by GS.
This LPM phenomenon reminds me of Ralph Wessel´s Modular Joinery Door/Window Object. It also was an amazing tool, requested by local users to resemble Velfac products. Then Ralph entered the late Cadimage team and MJO completely disappeared.

Karl Ottenstein
Apologies for the side-track/semi-hijack of the original wish... although LPM does offer a solution...

Yes, Paulo, it originated in the UK and was (and is?) managed by Rob Kalocay there, but that initial effort branched out to support all users. The INT version is freely available from the GRAPHISOFT web site - where the user guide can be easily viewed:

https://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/LPM/INT.html

This page provides links to the various language versions from version 19 to present:
https://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/LPM/library-part-maker-product.html

I found no meaningful tutorial videos from Graphisoft. Searching in YouTube shows several user tutorial videos. For example, just last month Heimo Mooslechner posted this video in German for creating custom windows:

My German isn't good enough to follow in detail - but watching his steps is helpful in seeing how things work. Note that in the initial screens, where you see three elevation symbols (with opening lines) and plan symbols - those are the three Level of Detail (LOD) representations that would be saved as part of the object and displayed based on Model View Options. He uses Profile Manager to create very detailed window component sections.

Yes, would be helpful if Graphisoft themselves produced some simple English language tutorials for LPM 🙂

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!