Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Window arrangement for side-by-side views

jameshowells
Contributor

Window > Arrange > Tile / Cascade etc...

Many software products allow you to un-lock your tabbed views and resize their independent windows.

Adobe, Autodesk etc. allow for a Tile or Cascade orientation of multiple window panes.

Please can Graphisoft resolve their outdated single-panel UI system to allow users to arrange them how is most productive, including viewing drawings side-by-side.

Windows 11 contains a new API which when hovering over the maximise tool, allows a pre-set assortment of window configurations.

This will also require support for a multiple-monitor setup.

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

Just to make sure you are aware that you can manually arrange the windows as you wish.

There is just no automatic tile or cascade option.

But if memory serves me correctly many versions ago there used to be?

I'm not sure if that went away with the TAB option or if it was just many versions ago - like version 6.5

The very left hand button in the TAB bar is a window overview - that shows all currently open windows.

But even if your wish was granted, Archicad is programmed so only the currently active window is live.

So having the other windows open and on screen/s, they will not update until you actually click in them to make them the current window.

So there is no real advantage to just having the TAB bar.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry, they did introduce settings to update background windows using idle processing, so it seems the foundations for multiple 'live' windows is already there.

I think it is a bit of an oversight on the programmers' part to go down the route of single-view only. 3DS Max and other industry standard modelling software normalised the 4x consecutive on-screen view and it shows that Archicad is limiting itself to an archaic outcome which hinders workflow and is actually less efficient than real-life architectural drawing!

@jameshowells wrote:
.... Archicad is limiting itself to an archaic outcome which hinders workflow and is actually less efficient than real-life architectural drawing!

I remember real life architectural drawing being pen on paper.

Definitely no automatic updating of elevations as you draw the plan there. 🤣

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Sometimes I forget not everyone studied Architecture at Hogwarts!