BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Windows & Doors in Polygon Walls

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I don't know if this has been covered before, but it sure would be good to be able to place windows and doors in polygonal walls. I am about to model a 60 year old, 7 storey hospital, with dwg as-builts to trace over.

What I'd give to space bar click the whole thing, whilst providing any future CAD Techs with a model they could actually use!

Cheers,
Link.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

I assume there is some reason you can't space bar click with regular walls. I'm not clear why the poly-walls are necessary. Is it some convoluted masonry structure?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes it is unfortunately!

Every other wall is a different thickness from 2.5 feet to 2 inches, and every 1/64 of a fraction in between. Looks like I will have to measure every wall thickness before modeling, and with at least a thousand walls, I'm glad I have an equal amount of MP3's.

Not only that, but since these were site measured (over 6 months), not all walls are the same thickness from one end to the other, and only some are perpendicular to each other. Oh - and each of the seven levels are split!

Unless someone comes up with the all time workaround, I think I'll be checking myself into the loony bin.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps you could use the poly-walls everywhere but the door & window locations and insert straight or tapered walls as needed.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Link,

I am absolutely with you as I can remember horrors of measuring buildings located in zones of conservation when I was working in Europe. No right angle between the walls and thickness of them varying sometimes by 15cm. God, that was a torture...
::rk
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
So no workarounds hey? It has been agreed that to provide the best model for future use, doors and windows must be placeable in all walls, no matter what.

YAY!

I must say I do enjoy the training side of my profession the most!

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
So no workarounds hey? It has been agreed that to provide the best model for future use, doors and windows must be placeable in all walls, no matter what.
no workarounds, and agreed as essential! we get a lot of similar DWG surveys of older building that really only the polywall can cope with. not being on any of those projects, i can't give you a rundown of how they dealt with it . . .

the best i can think of, as matthew suggests, is 'real' walls local to door positions if possible.

good luck mate!
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Just a suggestion: did you never try ArchiWall?
We developed it just for this purpose...

www.archiwall.com

friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Fabrizio,

I sing a lot of praise about Cigraph products, but am not sure it would be an effective solution in this case. Can you confirm the following about ArchiWall:

1. I need existing walls to attach ArchiWall objects to.
2. The result will consist of an equal amount of walls and ArchiWall objects.
3. I can't use the magic wand when creating ArchiWalls.

Attached is an example of what I am dealing with.

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Link,

What do you mean by no workarounds?

Doesn't the inserted wall solution work for you?

Just curious,

Matthew
Learn and get certified!