Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wish list: Full screen mode in 3d

David Collins
Advocate
A test message as well as a wish list item:

Now that a full screen OpenGL 3d window is feasible, I'd like to see a presentation mode for the 3d window, which would hide all the menu bars and floating menus with a single click, leaving just a clean full screen 3d view and maybe a very minimized floating menu for 3d navigation. Clients find all the toolbar and menu clutter distracting and frankly, so do I. Editing and element creation would still take place in the present format, but this would be great to have for client presentation.

David Collins
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
14 REPLIES 14
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
David,
I'd suggest that a savable, switchable, sharable Workspace format like VectorWorks has would be the more flexible and versatile way to go.

Not only would you be able to set up the stripped down interface you want, you'd have the power to customize it just for your needs. You'd be able to share them so you could have your preferred set-up when using another computer. You could make multiple for different situations like 3D only, 2D-3D client presentation, small screen (laptop), etc.

Keyboard short cuts, palette state and position, window size and position, all could be saved to a file that's easy to find and when placed in the proper folder would appear in a menu.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
David Collins
Advocate
sorry, duplicate post
David Collins

AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
David Collins
Advocate
Karl Ottenstein's has posted a tip for how to get a full screen 3d window, which is okay..., I guess, if I may be allowed to dam with faint praise, but Karl, you miss my point:

Ctl-\, Ctl-3, okay fine, but I still have the info box there in my face (click) the tool box (click) the coordinate box (click) and the control box (click). Thank god I keep those monitor-hog project navigator boxes closed and on keyboard shortcuts or else I'd have to shut those off too. Now all I have is the clunky 3d navigator box, which I have to constantly shuffle around because somehow its always in the way, like a giant pest palatte. Okay, cool, now I'm done zooming around in all this wonderful OpenGL textured space, I have to go back and turn all that stuff back on...
click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click.........

I would like to make all this clutter go away with one click, including the ArchiCad menu bar on top. I would also like a nice clean very thin and linear 3d navigation bar with teeny tiny little icons, which would sit quietly all along the bottom of the 3d full view screen.

I suppose one solution would be to go to using two monitors, one for work and the other for all that ArchiClutter.

Geoff Briggs' suggestion for savable workspace formats would be a big step in the right direction.

David Collins
8.0 R3 Int PC
David Collins

AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Karl Ottenstein's has posted a tip for how to get a full screen 3d window, which is okay..., I guess, if I may be allowed to dam with faint praise, but Karl, you miss my point:
I suppose one solution would be to go to using two monitors, one for work and the other for all that ArchiClutter.

Geoff Briggs' suggestion for savable workspace formats would be a big step in the right direction.
Hi David,

I agree with you completely, but did address some of those issues in my tip - which was in this thread, but got moved into the tips forum:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=391#391

I turn those other palettes off with the (inconvenient) workaround there.

Also, I do have two monitors which makes it all easier - I do just leave Navigator and Nav Preview open on the other monitor. I even use two monitors with my laptop - I have an old 15" CRT that I plug in for the Nav/Nav Preview.

And, as in the tip - I agree 100% with Geoff and you about savable workspaces! So, I think I did get your point 😉 just trying to give a workaround until GS grants the wishes.

Regards,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Woo Hoo! 8.1 has a new command in the Display menu (and on the Windows toolbar - far right button):

Full Screen & Hide All Palettes

The menu bar is all that is left - as well as a button to return to normal mode with palettes. As with 8.0, this function works for all windows except the 3D window.

To get a full 3D window, you need to use the workaround in my earlier 8.0 tip:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=391#391

that is: go into full screen/hide palette mode before you switch to the 3D window, and then maximize the 3D window (if it isn't already).

The 3D navigation palette will be visible and while the 'restore' button will be visible when the 3D window is active - it will not function. You must press ctrl-2 to bring up the 2D window (or use menus), and then you can click restore to leave full screen mode.

Mac users (no toolbar) may want to define a shortcut key for this new command.

HTH,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Collins
Advocate
Whoa! That was fast!

Now, Graphisoft, about shadows and multiple light sources with falloff in the OpenGL 3d mode ...
David Collins

AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Added to wishlist, wishes:
-User Profile
-Save out AC working environment settings in 1 file
-Full screen and hide all palettes for 3D window
-Shadowcasting in 3D with OpenGL engine
-Rendering effects in 3D OpenGL view
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
Mac users (no toolbar) may want to define a shortcut key for this new command.

HTH,
Karl
no toolbar and, it would appear, no "Full Screen" or "Full Screen and Hide All Palettes" commands either.

unless i'm quite drastically missing something!

laci, maybe you could add 'mac version to do the same things as the pc version' to the wish list too?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
no toolbar and, it would appear, no "Full Screen" or "Full Screen and Hide All Palettes" commands either.
Hi Ben,

Attached is a screen shot of part of the Display menu (and shortcuts dialog) on Windows. Are you saying that the Mac is missing these two commands?

Karl
display-menu.gif