BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wishlist | Save Copy As...

Josh Verran
Expert

Under the file menu exists the options to "Save" and "Save as", what would be really handy is a "Save Copy as".

I've seen this option in a handful of other applications and is really useful, especially when archiving/superseding a file or even when saving off a file as a template.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
3 REPLIES 3

This is easily accomplished within the file folder system of Mac or Windows with a right click create a copy, unless I am mis interpreting what you're after.

This is true, but if you have been modifying a file (say creating an alternate design), this will not save your latest changes.

You can of course simply choose "Save As" in Archicad and give it a new name.

However, it may not save to the current folder location of the job you are working on.

It will go to where you last set the 'save as' path to.

This is an old wish to have "Save As' save to the currently open file location.

So we either need the 'Save As' to use the currently open file path or a "Save Copy As' command that does indeed save to the current file path, with an automatically amended name (that can be overridden if necessary).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Josh Verran
Expert

One of the main scenarios I would use it is when working on "development" type files, for example when developing our Template I use a PLN file, then when ready to circulate I save off as a TPL. Once saved off I don't want to work on the TPL, but instead remain in the PLN. Another scenario would be when working with PLNs forming HLMs in a project. Could copy and paste the file and rename then open, but being able to save off copies as PLNs would be a tad more streamlined when combined with the comments above about save paths.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Learn and get certified!