Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Workflows post category

jl_lt
Ace
Hi guys, i would like to suggest to open a new post category in the board index called "workflows" or "best practices" where we can discuss specific ways of doing things in real world situations no matter the size with the tools that we currently have (as opposed to always wishing for things we dont have )

example: we are currently in a discussion with Mr. Rob2218 about the best way to organize the hotlinks in a 50 unit developement. I can see questions like "best way to handle a specific detail" or "best way to organize a project according to its size" or "best ways to organize a 20floor building" and so on. Might be useful
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Dare I say that is what the 'Working in Archicad' section is for?

I am not sure there is ever a 'Best way' in Archicad.
There are many ways to do the same thing.
The best way is what suits you.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jl_lt
Ace
Hi Mr. Kelly, yeah, thats the point: the "working in Archicad" thread in general, from what i have read, is for very specific proyect parts (like how to model a sofit) or other 3d modeling processes. Maybe i have not searched enough in that thread, but Im talking about a more general project-wise aproach. Im talking about ways for organizing a project, a multi unit project, an apartment building with different types of units, best ways to do a 400 unit parking building, how to make an apartment with different types of facades, working with split levels, very steep sites, setting up Archicad to efficiently work with high rises, best ways to setup teamwork for small offices and so forth. For example, knowing Graphisoft take on what the best ways to approach a high-rise building would be nice.

Every project is diferent, and the magic of Archicad is that it lets you get there through many paths, but i definitely think there are better paths than others. I use what i can because thats what i know, but i bet someone knows something better, and viceversa. The way i do things suit me because thats how i do them, but i would be wrong to assume there arent better ways.
Could this be a sharing-too-much-in-house-secrets situation and people might not want to share? maybe, but Mr. Podolsky has set a great example by sharing his extremely impresive template
Lingwisyer
Guru
Need topic tags?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the best place for these best practices and workflows is the "BIM Managers" forum since it is usually part of BIM Management to know and apply these best practices and workflows and it is usually BIM Managers that have the responsibility to get these applied in their organizations.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jl_lt
Ace
Hi! i agree, but also the BIM manager position is a (very) rare ocurrence in my country and im sure in most latin american countries, so offices have to be as efficient as possible without one. Im sure this happens even in Europe, USA and even Japan. Most posts i could find in that thread deal with setup minuatiae, template setup and general management of properties which is great.

But what im talking about is how to approach diferent types of real world project situations. i think concentrating that information in one single place could be of great help to current and future users
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe in many companies, there is nobody who is called the BIM Manager, but in many of these places, there are people doing BIM Manager tasks if they want to do their projects according to BIM processes and methods.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jl_lt
Ace
thats absolutely right, hence my insistence on this. Most posts on the other threads you mention revolve around minute procedures that most probably are only of the interest of the poster (how do i model a sofit using morph tool in section?? stuff like that), which is great, but im talking of more general procedures that any práctice, big or small, could implement