BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Would you like to see a scripting lagruage like Visual basic

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that a interpeted scripting langruage like Visual basic for applications excisting in Autocad, will be great. Of course anything can be done using api code but its much simpler to use the simple vba.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anything that makes creating custom solutions easier will ultimately benefit all of us.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would have voted for Important [4] to but it was a matter of principle too back up the wish. I can leave without it i guess
__archiben
Booster
oreopoulos wrote:
I think that a interpeted scripting langruage like Visual basic for applications excisting in Autocad, will be great. Of course anything can be done using api code but its much simpler to use the simple vba.
as long as we get applescript on this side of the great-platform-divide as well!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
oreopoulos wrote:
as long as we get applescript on this side of the great-platform-divide as well!

~/archiben
Of course. Visual basic does not mean VB.. It means VB like.. call it what ever you want.
It not time to start a war PC- MAC
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
~/archiben wrote:
oreopoulos wrote:

~/archiben
Of course. Visual basic does not mean VB.. It means VB like.. call it what ever you want.
It not time to start a war PC- MAC
I think we are talking more about making a friendly face (RAD tools) for (some of) the API functions, not opening AC up to VB. Though VB and Applescript extensions might be nice too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I think we are talking more about making a friendly face (RAD tools) for (some of) the API functions, not opening AC up to VB. Though VB and Applescript extensions might be nice too.
This is a good start also.
Ask for the whole cake, then just maybe you can taste a piece
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see that this is also talked in the developer forum..
Why dont you vote here.. Only 10 votes??
stefan
Expert
As an alternative, we could ask to extend GDL into a more general scripting language, that can access the whole project and not only the object it resides in.

This could be simple macro-commands, but once you can do "if...then" macro's, a lot is possible. Combine this with nice object filtering and you could start to think about things like: "Make all 'brick27'-walls on the first and second floor 10cm lower, except the ones with window type 'fixed' ...".

I voted important (not essential, since other things are more needed at the moment).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
As an alternative, we could ask to extend GDL into a more general scripting language, that can access the whole project and not only the object it resides in.

This could be simple macro-commands, but once you can do "if...then" macro's, a lot is possible. Combine this with nice object filtering and you could start to think about things like: "Make all 'brick27'-walls on the first and second floor 10cm lower, except the ones with window type 'fixed' ...".

I voted important (not essential, since other things are more needed at the moment).
I think that too.
Give GDL the option to interact with the user.
And that is basically based on proccessing a selection set from GDL (for example draw a polyline select it and let me handle the polyline data form GDL) and let GDL interact with the user (give me a point for example)
Learn and get certified!