Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wrap GDL in Python

leceta
Expert

Make python a first-class citizen when it comes to creating geometry (even creating "elements" i.e: wall, slabs in Archicad.)

Is hard to understand the design decision of using python for information/documentation management, GDL for creating objects and Grasshopper for creating "elements".

No one feels this ecosystem of automation tools like a mess? Graphisoft is losing "elegance". Where is the "best in class" lemma that Graphisoft used for years as a principle when it comes to last decade demand of automation and tooling?

P.S: Apologize if it sounds rude, but it just want to express my frustration that keeps being there, year after year.

5 REPLIES 5
gavinNZz
Advocate

Totally agree!. There have been various advancements through the years in regards to python, grasshopper, param-o etc that have been left behind. They all had promise and would extend Archicad to give it a tangible advantage over their opposition but for whatever reason these developments have gone nowhere. I share your disappointment in the direction GS seem to be taking with Archicad. It will result in users swapping to newer, more nimble software to achieve the results they are looking for. 

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
leceta
Expert

By the way, Rhino 8, currently on WIP, is CPython friendly 

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-8-feature-rhinocode-cpython-csharp/128353

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi All,

Thank you very much for sharing this great idea!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-11938). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Professor Pickle
Advocate

I may have said this before somewhere else but I’ll repeat it here because it’s topical. We need to get rid of the antiquated and very unfriendly BASIC-like GDL language and replace it completely with something modern. Seeing how Python is used for other things then we might as well use it as THE language for everything, including programmatic creation of parametric objects.

Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

At the end of the day Archicad is just a tool. I’ve recently upgraded all of my corded power tools to cordless. It was one of the best upgrades ever. In not too distant future something will come along that will be the cordless equivalent of today’s Archicad. People will upgrade. Because it’s just a tool and you gotta get the job done. 

Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6