BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Your Top 10 wishes for Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
This are my top 10 wishes for walls:
Please post your if your list is different

1. Improve wall intersection clean up. In 2D AND 3D. Current Status just waist us too much time trying to clean those lines up.
2. 3D hotspots for walls. We should be able to change wall height
3. Different Section and Plan fills
4. When two walls are collinear then there should be a join command to make them as one. (The inverse of a split command)
5. Adding a second type of wall movement. Till now moving a wall does not affects walls intersected with it and the wall retains its length. That is ok but another kind of wall move should be added. If we move a wall ALL other walls connected to the wall should extend (or shorten) to fall the wall. Its like they are glued to the wall and they fall the walls movement. That would save TONS of time especially when we are making changes to the plans.
6. Corner Node points (wall intersections) should behave like a moveable hotspot. This is almost a logical follow up of the previous wish
7. The wall should show up in selected stories (not only in current)
8. The wall could have vertical zones of materials. So like wish 3 we have to define a stack of fills for section drawing and a stack of textures.
9. Walls should follow story height (of the user wants so)
10. Last but not least. Free form walls. This could be done by graphically editing the inner and outer lines of the wall AND defining a wall profile.
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
This are my top 10 wishes for walls:
Please post your if your list is different

1. Improve wall intersection clean up. In 2D AND 3D. Current Status just waist us too much time trying to clean those lines up.
This has improved significantly over the years and I expect will continue to do so. There is still much room for improvement and this is (obviously) a very important aspect of the program. (Unfortunately it is also very complex from a programming point of view.)
2. 3D hotspots for walls. We should be able to change wall height
This is an excellent idea! and should not be too difficult to implement, I imagine.
I have never seen the need for this myself, but it seems to be a common wish. Perhaps if I had it I would suddenly realize all the things I could do that I hadn't thought of before. What do you need it for?
4. When two walls are collinear then there should be a join command to make them as one. (The inverse of a split command)
Another good one. It also seems as though it should be easy enough to accomplish.
5. Adding a second type of wall movement. Till now moving a wall does not affects walls intersected with it and the wall retains its length. That is ok but another kind of wall move should be added. If we move a wall ALL other walls connected to the wall should extend (or shorten) to fall the wall. Its like they are glued to the wall and they fall the walls movement. That would save TONS of time especially when we are making changes to the plans.
This would be GREAT, assuming it is optional and doesn't affect performance adversely. It also seems like a way to start selectively adopting the best of Revit without burdening the model with too many relationships to keep track of.
6. Corner Node points (wall intersections) should behave like a moveable hotspot. This is almost a logical follow up of the previous wish
This is already true if all the affected walls are selected. I'm not sure that this needs any improvement.
7. The wall should show up in selected stories (not only in current)
Is there anyone who doesn't want this? (I doubt it.) We will also need some easy way to see what story elements are on (home story). This is already difficult with the floors and roofs sometimes. A simple read only field in the info palette would suffice for now.
8. The wall could have vertical zones of materials. So like wish 3 we have to define a stack of fills for section drawing and a stack of textures.
This would be cool, but not on the top of my list. It is part of the holy grail of never having to stack and sandwich walls to accomplish things that are presently beyond the scope of the tool.
9. Walls should follow story height (of the user wants so)
I would prefer that the walls can be told to extend up and/or down to the nearest floors and/or roofs. (speedikon had this capability when I worked on it back in 1997)
10. Last but not least. Free form walls. This could be done by graphically editing the inner and outer lines of the wall AND defining a wall profile.
This is also a high priority (particularly looking at the feedback here) but it does have some potential to seriously complicate #1. And there is also the issue of doors and windows in these complex wall structures.
TomWaltz
Participant

I have never seen the need for this myself, but it seems to be a common wish. Perhaps if I had it I would suddenly realize all the things I could do that I hadn't thought of before. What do you need it for?
I would want it to be able to use a "brick with coursing" or "CMU with coursing" hatch in sections, but not plans. Maybe even a "batt insulation," again, in section, not plan.

I think this goes along with "vertically complex walls," which could have brick up to a height (maybe 4'), a concrete water table, then siding the rest of the height of the wall
Tom Waltz
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Matthew,
the simplest example why we need the different fills in section elevation are parapet walls: empty fill on plan , solid on section.
This could be also achieved by implementing the "override horizontal section high" for walls as I wished in...
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=3884&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
And speaking about 3d hotspots in walls, check this old wish
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1910&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

the images unfortunately are from ADT 2004
1 & 2 show the grips of a wall in 3d and 2 shows how you can stretch the height of one side individually.
in 3 you can see the ability to strech points of the profile inside the wall (or create custom profiles and not only in one point of the wall).In the image 3 it is combined with the 3d hotspots of 1 & 2.
Trust me it works good!

Petros

PS we don't always need to reinvent the weel.It is out there rolling
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I would want it to be able to use a "brick with coursing" or "CMU with coursing" hatch in sections, but not plans. Maybe even a "batt insulation," again, in section, not plan.

I think this goes along with "vertically complex walls," which could have brick up to a height (maybe 4'), a concrete water table, then siding the rest of the height of the wall
I kind of figured that I just hadn't given it enough thought. Those would be really useful functions; especially with scale sensitivity in the fills and/or composites.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Petros wrote:
Matthew,
the simplest example why we need the different fills in section elevation are parapet walls: empty fill on plan , solid on section.
This could be also achieved by implementing the "override horizontal section high" for walls as I wished in...
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=3884&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
This is turning into a catalog of uses for the feature. I'm glad I asked. The problem of showing section fills in low walls has always bugged me. For parapets I usually mask them with the coping, but prior to 9 that meant adding fills if I used roofs and slabs for the purpose. Now wouldn't it be cool to be able to add a coping to the top as part of the walls?
Anonymous
Not applicable
PLease add any missing wishes for walls.
So we gather them in one place...
Aussie John
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Now wouldn't it be cool to be able to add a coping to the top as part of the walls?
or footings to the base

Also further to the 3d hotspots to control the elevations i'd like to be able to drag each end independently to give a raking wall. Top and bottom
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
I would like to see a definable height set for each skin of a composite. This would greatly simplify X course step-downs for footings as well as for boxed eaves. This for me is close to number 1 (along with vertically composite walls). At the moment we are building one wall in three parts on three separate stories. (I know part of this can be done with SEO's but on highly complex projects it is too hard to manage)

Cheers

Ben
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Learn and get certified!