Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Zone Tags Should List Length And Width

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to have the zone tags be able to list the room length and width. Most clients have no clue when you tell them a room is 500 square feet, but they have a better idea when you tell them a room is 20' x 25'. Even in a room with jogs in it, it still gives the client a better idea of the room size.
17 REPLIES 17
Karl Ottenstein
I'm not sure how to vote on this one, Jay... since zones can have any shape. What dimensions should be displayed for an L-shaped zone for example?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like this even if it only worked on rectilinear zones. The non-rectangular zone is clearly a problem.

I have been working on a zone stamp to do this but it hasn't been a priority in my current work load so it remains unfinished until a job cries out for it.
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
I'm not sure how to vote on this one, Jay... since zones can have any shape. What dimensions should be displayed for an L-shaped zone for example?
The longest dimensions - the bounding box of L.

I agree with Jay - clients like to know that their rooms are AxB, even if they really are not, and have no concept of the area or the dimensioning.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Karl
I'll take the maximum length and width. Even if it has a chunk taken out of it, the client will still have a better idea of the room size than just having the area.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I agree.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Matthew, has that zone stamp you've been working on become a priority for you yet? I could sure use a marker that displayed zone width and legth, and I'm amazed that there is still no marker with this capabilty to be found.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Hear hear!!!!! I'm going to vote several time on this one to skew the results to must have right now!!!!
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Hear hear!!!!! I'm going to vote several time on this one to skew the results to must have right now!!!!
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
TomWaltz
Participant
This actually falls into a much broader category that Karl, Matthew, myself, and others have long lamented, that neither GDL not the API allows full access to Archicad element variables and environment settings.

All we would really need for this to become possible is access to the array of points used to create a Zone, but the GDL system does not provide access to these values. If we had those points, the algebraic methods of determining maximum width and length would almost be trivial.
Tom Waltz