Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Tags Should List Length And Width

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to have the zone tags be able to list the room length and width. Most clients have no clue when you tell them a room is 500 square feet, but they have a better idea when you tell them a room is 20' x 25'. Even in a room with jogs in it, it still gives the client a better idea of the room size.
17 REPLIES 17

Karl Ottenstein
I'm not sure how to vote on this one, Jay... since zones can have any shape. What dimensions should be displayed for an L-shaped zone for example?

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.2, iMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like this even if it only worked on rectilinear zones. The non-rectangular zone is clearly a problem.

I have been working on a zone stamp to do this but it hasn't been a priority in my current work load so it remains unfinished until a job cries out for it.

Djordje
Expert
Karl wrote:
I'm not sure how to vote on this one, Jay... since zones can have any shape. What dimensions should be displayed for an L-shaped zone for example?
The longest dimensions - the bounding box of L.

I agree with Jay - clients like to know that their rooms are AxB, even if they really are not, and have no concept of the area or the dimensioning.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Karl
I'll take the maximum length and width. Even if it has a chunk taken out of it, the client will still have a better idea of the room size than just having the area.

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I agree.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Matthew, has that zone stamp you've been working on become a priority for you yet? I could sure use a marker that displayed zone width and legth, and I'm amazed that there is still no marker with this capabilty to be found.

Tom Krowka
Booster
Hear hear!!!!! I'm going to vote several time on this one to skew the results to must have right now!!!!
Tom Krowka Architect

Windows 10, AC Version 25

Thomas@wkarchwk.com

www.walshkrowka.com

Tom Krowka
Booster
Hear hear!!!!! I'm going to vote several time on this one to skew the results to must have right now!!!!
Tom Krowka Architect

Windows 10, AC Version 25

Thomas@wkarchwk.com

www.walshkrowka.com

TomWaltz
Newcomer
This actually falls into a much broader category that Karl, Matthew, myself, and others have long lamented, that neither GDL not the API allows full access to Archicad element variables and environment settings.

All we would really need for this to become possible is access to the array of points used to create a Zone, but the GDL system does not provide access to these values. If we had those points, the algebraic methods of determining maximum width and length would almost be trivial.
Tom Waltz

Rakela Raul
Participant
i even wish being able to type the area i need and the zone tag stretch by it self to a direction selected by me also
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16

Aussie John
Newcomer
Once that is achieved it is only a short? step to having section lines automatically extending from one edge of a zone to another. Now that would be a time saver.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:
i even wish being able to type the area i need and the zone tag stretch by it self to a direction selected by me also
I agree.

I would like to SEE DYNAMICALLY the area of zone (or fill or slab) as i change a point or stretch a side. I would also like when activating the stretch side tool to have an option to type a desired area.

When i want to achieve a certain area, i have to move a side back and forth until i have the desired area in .xxx digits.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
I would like to have the zone tags be able to list the room length and width. Most clients have no clue when you tell them a room is 500 square feet, but they have a better idea when you tell them a room is 20' x 25'. Even in a room with jogs in it, it still gives the client a better idea of the room size.
Jay and others,
Take a look at the following thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=43031&highlight=#43031
Its not fully automated by reading the points of the zone but still fairly effective. It gives you good graphicaly flexibility and a way to display what "you" define as the appropriate zone boundaries to display as overall dimensions.

Dan K

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan wrote:
Take a look at the following thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=43031&highlight=#43031
Its not fully automated by reading the points of the zone but still fairly effective.
Haven't tried to implement your version, but I've just uploaded a block that we've been using at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=46305#46305
Need to check your out also (when I get some time, and before AC implements a similar block into their zone stamp) and see which one is more practical for our office.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Several of you have wished that you could at least have an extra parameter to list the length and width. I've attached the zone stamp we have been using over the last year, which has two extra parameters. It's not automated like the thread Dan pointed to, but it works.

Also, I got rid of the Text Font, Text Size, and Text Color for every single parameter, and made them all the same -- specified in one place. The room name has it's own font/size/color combination.

You can easily find my modifications and incorporate them into your own by searching in the 2D script for "by Jay". You will find either "Added by Jay..." or "Changed by Jay..."

Rakela Raul
Participant
any chance to make the zone tag name (Office 2) for example, 'static'...
so when you shringe the finishes from other zone tag to it, does not change the zone tag name also?
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16

Geof Gainer
Newcomer
I just saw that this thread was eleven years old. But there's still no standard zone stamp with length and width? I voted 'essential', since it would be essential to my actually using the zone tool.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 22 Build 7000 USA FULL, AC 23 Build 5005 USA FULL, AC 24 Build 3008 USA FULL. 2013 iMac 27, Intel Core i7, 32G ram. OS X 10.14.6 Mojave

Start a new conversation!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!