Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

a few simple UI suggestions (now with images!)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to Story... what's annoying here is that I need to know the number of the story (currently I have -4 to 24) but 'Show Ghost Story' has a drop down menu with the number AND name!
Wouldn't it be nice if both had a drop-down?

Layer Settings. First of all, the buttons are all wrong. 'New' appears twice, once under the left panel and once next to the right panel, obviously for different uses, but please make it clear. The buttons below 'Lock' 'Show' need to be moved further apart, maybe even colorful little icons, hmm?

In addition, I'd like to see "Layer Groups" - not combinations, but the possibility to blend out certain groups. For example, when I import a site plan I get all the layers from the CE, or if I load an XREF I get those from the ME. Now when I'm working and want to navigate to another layer of my own I've got to go down a very long list (and growing!) My idea is to have layer directories like 'Arch', 'Structual', 'Civil' and I could just close the folders with the layers I don't want to see while maintaining the possiblity to view certain layers from within those, like property lines. Think about it.

[edit] finally an mock-up of how I envision it

Xref Manager window needs to be resizable

And the fill previews are still way too small.

[edit] OK in 10 the previews are a bit larger - I can live with this
but... the Xref Manager still needs to be resizable AND it would be helpful to see the story in which the Xref is placed.

[edit] I also think a pen lock for the dimensions would be a great time saver - wish I had had one yesterday!

4 REPLIES 4
jshuether
Enthusiast
The need for layer grouping seems so obvious. Vectorworks implements this quite well with it's classes. Classess in Vectorworks are like layers in other CAD programs. Layers in Vectorworks are like Stories in ArchiCAD. Since Nemetschek now owns a share of Graphisoft, could Graphisoft not "borrow" some of the best features in Vectorworks?
ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Layers in folders! A long standing wish since AC8.1 I think!
Don't hope to get it till version 15!
I think someone wished it around Christmas but Santa did'n help!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I voted essential for layer grouping. This sounds like real layer management.
In fact, I visited the forum today to post a similar wish : having two main maps in the layer folder, both automatically updated:
- "active layers" in the drawing (used)
- "none active layers" in the drawing (unused)

Result : a clean and readable interface without having to purge!
TomWaltz
Participant
kliment wrote:
Layers in folders! A long standing wish since AC8.1 I think!
Don't hope to get it till version 15!
I think someone wished it around Christmas but Santa did'n help!
Hierarchical layers have been a pretty long-standing item... I think Matthew had a few theories on how they should work
Tom Waltz