BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

a label that picks up the [composite] wall name instead

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do want to be able to tag the walls automatically with the name of the wall (the composite wall name). I know I could do this with the ID or text, but I do not consider that as automatic. Having some experience with ADT (cumbersome and time consuming in modeling), it had a good tool however for wall tags.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
jim wrote:
I do want to be able to tag the walls automatically with the name of the wall (the composite wall name). I know I could do this with the ID or text, but I do not consider that as automatic. Having some experience with ADT (cumbersome and time consuming in modeling), it had a good tool however for wall tags.
You can create labels to extract all kinds of information from elements, but it requires a little GDL.

Attached is a screenshot of a wall labeled with a quickly modified version of the Object_Indicator NCS label. I just changed the Master Script to display WALL_COMPS_NAME (a global variable - see the GDL Reference Manual) instead of GLOB_ID.

From the File menu, GDL Objects, Open Object by Subtype... open the label object that is closest to what you want and save a copy of it in your project or company library. Modify this copy to display the information you want.

HTH,
Karl
composite-label.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,

I will give that a wurl tomorrow. I have similiar composite names where my first 3 characters is the designation for the wall, so I will want to truncate the string of text if possible.

Jim
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I created a wall label to display the first 2 characters of the composite name, and it works great; however -- AFAIK, there is no way to control the visibility of these labels via either Display Options or Layer Settings. So, in order for those labels to show up only on my Construction Plans (and not the Reflected Ceiling, Furniture Plans, etc.) I have to select all walls, uncheck the Label Wall box, save my views and import those drawings on which I do not wish the labels to appear into PM prior to turning the labels back on. Is this the correct work-around?

So... either there should be a Wall Marker (much like Door and Window Markers) whose visibililty can be controlled by Display Options, or there should be better controls offered for the display of labels.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
AHA! You can control the layer of the marker via the Label Dialog box...

...nevermind...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear All GDL masters

I need to have a special label stamp for the beams, that could be helpful to identify them on a plan drawing to be plotted and to be sent to our formworks structural and rebar draftsman. I need that over each beam, a stamp with the beam ID and its size (xi,wy) written immediately after the ID like....BA24 (0,30 xi 0,70) . So far, in AC10 we can only have beams identified if we use each beam as a particular pre casted concrete, which comes with AC10 library. Anyway, the automatic label attached to it brings just the (0,30 x 0,70) but not the B24. In this case, the beam should be 0,30 on x and 0,70 on y;;
So, how can I add this descriptor along with beam´s string? Is that a syntax problem over GDL? Can you help me to write some easy code for that?? It would be fine to have this script label available for each and every beams, and columns as well. I know you can help me ..

Thanx
Aussie John
Newcomer
jim wrote:
Thanks Karl,

I will give that a wurl tomorrow. I have similiar composite names where my first 3 characters is the designation for the wall, so I will want to truncate the string of text if possible.

Jim
AFAIK the only way to do that is to use a special character eg a dot or hyphen after the initial three and use the STRSUB command (see manual)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
jim wrote:
Thanks Karl,

Jim
AFAIK the only way to do that is to use a special character eg a dot or hyphen after the initial three and use the STRSUB command (see manual)

Thanx for while
Anyway, as a newcomer with GDL scripts, I´d appreciate to have an example of this and where I should edit the label strings...

Renato
Aussie John
Newcomer
there is a good example in the manual that use a "." to select the text before the dot ( and the text after it)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!